DIR- Generic New Santi Avatar Drysuit ordered—full review to follow soon.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HD bottle shaped wrist seals are PITA - very hard to get them off if undergloves are under the seals (in case of seal on seal gloves).
HD cone shaped neck seal is fine.

P.S.Don't know any drysuits from breathable (or other light weight) fabrics that could last significantly past 200-250 dives - all begin to leak through fabric. Please, keep informing about Avatar - hope it is not its case

106 dives so far. I’m diving it exclusively, and I’ll continue to update. Cheers

In theory you can move the left arm dump valve up higher with a right shoulder zip which is nice. But since they usually don’t I don’t see any reason for it to matter which shoulder the suit zips.

Any updates?

I am using it now for over 100 dives, maybe 150, I don't log anymore and do around 200-250 dives a year, and it is still dry.

The 'breathable' part I really don't know. When it is hot outside I am still sweating and if I am just doing some dives to take pictures in shallows I do that most times in a wetsuit as peeing is easier :wink:

The only thing is that the seals start to sticking now. So I don't think they will hold for a long time anymore. But this has nothing to do with the suit, just because it are late seals and no HD. Replacing them is not that hard, wrist seals less than half an hour, neck seal 45 minutes.

I like the avatar undersuit, it is warmer than expected. Of course not in winter usable, but in water of 10 degrees C, I can spend 60-70 minutes without problems or getting cold. My hands become cold then. 3 hours in 13 degrees C is no problem.

Hi Germie,
I now use the suit as a backup and my Santi E-lite + as my main suit. Nevertheless, the Avatar saved my ass in Cave 1 when my Santi seals broke, and I am still happy I have it as a backup. It is an excellent suit, and I recommend it whenever someone needs a cost-effective option. Moreover, I still think it is a perfect suit for Fundamentals and beyond as long as off-the-shelf sizes fit.

Haha, I haven't done fundamentals and will not spend money on it as I am already a technical diver in everything. So the Avatar will also work if you are further. I have done trimixdives, ccr, cavedives, etc with it. And of course photodives and recreational diving.
Till now it holds better than expected.
My other references are Otter (really good suits), Procean and Santi Espace.

Now over 300 dives, maybe 350, I don't know exactly. I have abused the suit a lot. I have done some dry caving (with extra knee protection) and then some cave diving with it. And this is where the suit is not developped for. So I had about 5 holes, but it only a drop of Aquasure.
I have replaced all the seals, but that is normal because it are not HD seals, so they will not last longer than 1-1.5 year.
I have 1 hole of about 2 cm in a pocket, this is also because of dry caving. Also easy to repair.
The suit starts to look a little bit worn, but I am still dry. I have bought a second Avatar underwear as it is really nice in 13 degrees water. I can stay hours and hours without getting cold.

One thing I really feel is that the suit is thin when you dive in cold water. If you dive in 8 degrees C or less, a thicker suit will hold you warm longer.
This is the first Tizip that holds more than 100 dives. The original zip is still in it.
I thought I could throw it away in 1 year, but I still use it. And sometimes abuse it.

My wife and I have had them since January and have about 100 dives a peice on them, I've patched a hole or 2 in her suit and replaced her neck seal when she ripped it putting it on, just normal stuff. We're really happy with them.

Hi guys, very interested on that topic
Im in the market for a new trilam drysuit and Im quite attracted to avatar…
I cant figure out the main differences between avatar and a more classical Santi E-motion since they basically are the same company…

Any input? Any advice ?
There are only good feedbacks on the avatar anyway. @Germie

Hi guys, very interested on that topic
Im in the market for a new trilam drysuit and Im quite attracted to avatar…
I cant figure out the main differences between avatar and a more classical Santi E-motion since they basically are the same company…

Any input? Any advice ?
There are only good feedbacks on the avatar anyway. @Germie
  • The emotion has thicker fabric 235g/sqm vs 200g/sqm on the avatar
  • The emotion pockets are different, they're larger and more rigid with zippers
  • The emotion zipper has an outer zipper, vs just a flap. I one time had my light cord get stuck around the zipper pull on the avatar and opened the zipper underwater.... it was a bit cold but was able to be quickly reclosed
  • The santi boots are a bit different between the avatar and the emotions
  • the suspenders are a bit different.

Like I said we have +200 dives between our 2 avatars and have been very happy with then and they're great for travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom