New Rules for Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick Steele

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Okay so I got an email today informing me that during the February FWC meeting they approved regulation changes to help sustain BHB as a world class snorkel/dive park! Regulations go into effect on April 1st 2019.

This is wonderful news in my mind but at the end of the change it’s stated that hook and line fishing is still allowed (this is fine IMO) but it also says lobstering is fine which I don’t understand. Does anyone have first hand knowledge about why lobstering is allowed still? Wouldn’t it be easier to police a complete ban?

Below is the email I received.
45BB3C03-BA3F-4FF5-9F0E-FE5916A59F09.png

I don't know the answer you seek. However, lobsters have a "season". Banded coral shrimp do not, as well as most other tropicals. In addition, lobsters are a food source, lawnmower blennies, not so much.

I don't know the answer you seek. However, lobsters have a "season". Banded coral shrimp do not, as well as most other tropicals. In addition, lobsters are a food source, lawnmower blennies, not so much.
You can sustain on anything if you eat enough.

If that’s how you think someone could sell the shrimp/tropicals to provide food. Also snook and redfish are a huge food source but because of decline in populations on the west coast they are currently closed to relieve the pressure they face.

Not trying to be snarky but it makes zero sense to me.

Are lobster endangered?
They are a 'game' species, just like the fish that are allowed per hook and line regs.

Yes, it would be easier to police divers if a total ban was in place. But, I am guessing, they [FWC] do not see a need to infringe upon all legal species and fishermen.

I have seen spearos there before. From what I understood at the time it was legal if diving from a boat, not shore. Dunno...

Are lobster endangered?
They are a 'game' species, just like the fish that are allowed per hook and line regs.

I get what you’re saying but most of the tropicals that are now “no take” aren’t endangered either.

Keep in mind the job of the FWC is to promote recreational fishing and hunting while enforcing conservation at the same time. Rec. fishermen pay for the FWC, not divers, so considering the totality of tourism, rec. fishing and conservation at this site, I'd say the end result is pretty damn good and should leave everyone satisfied.

FWIW, It's my understanding you'd be hard pressed to find a legal lobster at BHB, and it certainly wouldn't be worth the effort when you could go offshore and catch your limit.

True it is a really good thing it now has different regulations I won’t argue that. I was just curious as to why not make it an entire no take zone.

Keep in mind the job of the FWC is to promote recreational fishing and hunting while enforcing conservation at the same time. Rec. fishermen pay for the FWC, not divers, so considering the totality of tourism, rec. fishing and conservation at this site, I'd say the end result is pretty damn good and should leave everyone satisfied.

I am pretty sure they mean live collection of fish for the aquarium trade, not sport (spear)fishing.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom