New rescue device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect that eventually almost every lifeguard stand at beaches will have something like it.
and you'll see them in many but not all of the places you see life rings mounted now (similar to how you see AED's now)
How many years out I have no guess...but eventually

The only problem would be the lipo batteries. They're not meant to be stored at a full charge and charging them can be hazardous (fires). My RC batteries, 1S thru 4S, all require specific charging and storage safeguards. I don't imagine these wouldn't need the same.

The only problem would be the lipo batteries. They're not meant to be stored at a full charge and charging them can be hazardous (fires). My RC batteries, 1S thru 4S, all require specific charging and storage safeguards. I don't imagine these wouldn't need the same.
Good point but have to imagine that the manufacturer has thought about it. I'm sure that there will be a SOP available that will have to be adhered to. These are life saving devices and could open them up to a slew of lawsuits if they were launched but failed to operate. No idea about private boats. That would be interesting but the devices will only continue to get better.

great point, but easy fix...build in a buffer
oversize the battery by 20% and set it up to maintain 80% state of charge with a solar panel....

great point, but easy fix...build in a buffer
oversize the battery by 20% and set it up to maintain 80% state of charge with a solar panel....
The buffer wouldn't necessarily work. Each cell would need to be stored at 1.9V vs 2.25V and that drop greatly diminishes the output mAh for each cell. They could overbuild the battery with additional cells in series to get operational voltage with each cell in a storage state and then add more batteries in parallel to give additional current potential. Who knows, maybe they've thought about all this and were just don't since arm chair engineering for nothing.

looks like you know more about it than me.
It was just a thought.....I only thought about it because that's how my battery EV car is designed..... it has a buffer built in on the top and the bottom
so even if I charge it to 100% the batteries are not "full"
and normal operation is to charge it to 80% or less... and 80% indicated is something less than 80% because of the buffer

If all it can do is get flotation to the site fast that is a huge win. Great if it can drive the victim back, but if it just buys time to get a manned watercraft on site, it will make a huge difference. Makes batter capacity less of an issue, for outbound deployment only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom