New regulator, old SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Been updating the old gear lately. First stuff since the early 80's. Tried to connect my old guage console to the new reg. and it doesn't fit. The new reg is an Apeks ATX 50. Old guages are Sherwood. New computer is next on the list but would like to use the new reg before that. I'm guessing this is a pressure thing. New reg is a DIN. Any Ideas?

Originally posted by dangerbird
Been updating the old gear lately. First stuff since the early 80's. Tried to connect my old guage console to the new reg. and it doesn't fit. The new reg is an Apeks ATX 50. Old guages are Sherwood. New computer is next on the list but would like to use the new reg before that. I'm guessing this is a pressure thing. New reg is a DIN. Any Ideas?

Older US manufactured Regs use a 3/8-24SAE thread for all ports with a few noteable exceptions. Newer regs use a 9/16-18SAE port for the HP port so you can't accidently hook a LP hose up to a HP port. (1/2-20 was usec by Dacor for LP hoses for years so it jumped another size.) Whle this is not ususally physically dangerous to the diver, it does screw the dive when the LP hose ruptures at gear up with significant sonic signature.

The solution to the problem is to get a 3/8 to 9/16 adaptor, or just replace the hose with one of the correct fitting size. I carry adaptors to go both ways on most trips just in case I need to adapt. They're relatively inexpensive and bulk very little in the repair kit.

On a remote trip I carry a spare LP hose, with the adaptors. Rarely will I need to replace the hose on my rig, but I have saved several other diver's vacations when parts of their rig died on a liveaboard several days from port. Trips are so much more enjoyable with out all that whining...

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom