New Reg/Fittings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogboy

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a new regulator, Aqualung Titan LX. The high pressure port is larger than the low pressure ports, and my old gauges have the smaller fitting on them (same size as the low pressure ports for octo/bc/etc). Does anyone make an adapter or do I need to get a new HP hose for my gauges?

3/8th to 7/16th adapters are still available. You should be able to get one at your local dive shop for about $5.00.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of a bunch of adapters. If you have a 3/8 HP hose, I'll bet it's at least 20 years old... a new HP hose is about $30 with the proper fitting... I might be inclined to replace it instead of spend the money on an adapter....

I'm not a fan of apapters either, but I am also not a real big fan of newer HP hoses. I have HP hoses that I have owned and used since the early 80's and they are all still leak free while I have had a few newer HP hoses that have turned themselves into good limitations of aquarium airstones in less than 5 years. My opinion is that at least some HP hose manufacturers are making lower quality HP hoses now than were made in the past - some of them just don't hold up as well in service.

So I would not ditch a hose just because it is old as long as it is still in good shape and leak free. The HP o-ring spool should be serviced and the o-rings replaced, but if the hose itself is in good shape, there is not really a good reason not to use it.

Where I would consider a hose change is if the lenght is too long or too short for optimum streamlining with your configuration. If the current hose is not the right lenght, then you'd have a good argument for changing it if you can find one that is a more appropriate lenght.

The best thing to do is likely combine what DA and Larry said. Take a look at your hose and see (particularly near the fittings on the ends) if there is and dryness, cracking or other damage to the hose. If you haven't used it in a while and are supect, hook it up to the LP port and see if it leaks. Not guaranteed but give it a try. If the hose is in good condition, $5 is always better than $30.

Back
Top Bottom