New PSD course??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ditch-diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Heasrd a rumour today that PADI has created a new PADI PSD course coming soon to a dive shop near you.

The source of info is credible however he has been known to blow smoke up my backside before(for a laugh)

Anyone heard of this or seen any material on it??

Heasrd a rumour today that PADI has created a new PADI PSD course coming soon to a dive shop near you.

The source of info is credible however he has been known to blow smoke up my backside before(for a laugh)

Anyone heard of this or seen any material on it??

Yes. :wink:

I heard about this several months ago from a credible public safety instructor friend of mine.

Yes, there's more information on it in the lastest Undersea Journal.

Heard a bit about it- It will not be coming to a dive shop near you unless an instructor at the shop has PSD experience.

Yeah I figured as much.., the "dive shop near you" thing was strictly tongue-in-cheek

PADI Prioritizes Public Safety With Introduction of New Program

New standardized Public Safety Diver course meets needs of membership and local agencies.

As the most respected and sought after dive professionals in the world, PADI Members often receive requests from local police, fire and other agencies to provide specialized public safety diver training. While PADI Instructors in the public safety field have been teaching PADI Public Safety Diver for decades as a distinctive specialty course, the demand from PADI Members for a standardized course has been on the rise. To meet the needs of the membership, PADI is launching the PADI Public Safety Diver course.

“It’s only natural that public agencies -- including police, fire and other emergency management services – would turn to PADI Professionals, the world’s leaders in diver training and education, for public safety diver training,” says James Morgan, PADI Americas Vice President of Training. “By standardizing this course, qualified PADI Instructors can now quickly respond to agency demands and public needs. And, since the PADI Public Safety Diver course was designed and tested by PADI Instructors currently active in the public safety diving field – professionals with years of experience familiar with what it takes to safely and effectively fulfill this critical role – public agencies can feel confident that their staff will receive the best and most comprehensive training in the industry.”

Public safety diving is a specialized field in which divers perform a variety of services critical for local communities. These activities include rescue, evidence and body recovery, underwater inspections and more. These divers typically couple their experience in police, fire and related fields with specialized dive training to carry out these activities in a safe and efficient manner.

“Only PADI Instructors with a current background and affiliation within the public safety field will qualify to teach the PADI Public Safety Diver course,” continues Morgan. “However, for those who are qualified, they now have a complete curriculum to offer and are supported by the strength and recognition of the PADI brand.”

The PADI Public Safety Diver course familiarizes new and potential public safety divers with the skills, knowledge, planning, procedures, techniques and hazards of public safety diving. The curriculum includes key public safety diving topics such as specialized equipment, scene handling, communication procedures, search patterns, witness handling, victim and self rescue techniques, as well as many other topics. Water skills include a variety of search patterns as well as team diving roles as primary diver, safety diver, tender, 90 percent diver and supervisor. The program provides candidates proven techniques that are used in the field today. In addition, the PADI Public Safety Diver course meets and addresses important National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) guidelines found in NFPA 1006 and 1670.

In addition to an instructor guide, the PADI Safety Diver course also offers lesson guides and a series of forms to help PADI Instructors with instruction. Student divers also have key checklists to use in the field when conducting public safety diving operations. For more information regarding the PADI Public Safety Diver course and program requirements, please contact a PADI Americas Educational Consultant by calling 800 729 7234 (US and Canada), +1 949 858 7234, ext. 2540.

Others promise … PADI delivers.

Thanks Omni.., wadda ya know?? Buddy was telling me the truth for once.

“It’s only natural that public agencies -- including police, fire and other emergency management services – would turn to PADI Professionals, the world’s leaders in diver training and education, for public safety diver training,”

I don't doubt that this is going to happen but as it says in one of the better known PSD text books - if you want SWAT training you don't go to the local gun shop or if you want paramedic training you don't go to the local red cross first aid instructor or if you want hazmat training you don't go to the janitor - you go to a specialized training agency for all these things. Why would PSD be different?
A real PSD agency that offers real PSD training (and probably has a standard course that has been evolving for dozens of years).
Any PSD instructor worth his weight is aligned with a PSD agency in some form IMO - I'd be very wary of any that are supported by PADI alone.

PSD is a unique type of dving. To water down this training as PADI has done to all the other types of diving could be very dangerous - it can't be taught out of a box of DVD's over a weekend like most of the PADI courses are (not to say that ANY form of diving should be taught that way...).

Just my 2 cents

...., but they are "the most respected and sought after dive professionals in the world" It says so right in the release :)

While not being a big PADI guy myself, I do have to say that "The Encycolpedia of Recreational Diving" is simply the best recreational diving text book I have come across. Bar none. I have not been happy with most PSD texts books and been toying with the idea of writing something suitable to be adequate for Federal and Provincial Legislation. (A diving techniques book..., not anything to do with the stuff covered by Bob Teather).

Maybe PADI has done it for me.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what they bring to the table for materials.

Back
Top Bottom