New Olympus Micro Four Thirds Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FritzCat66

Florida Reef Cat
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been keeping an eye on the development of the Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds formats, so this preview of the soon-to-be-released Olympus E-P1 was of interest to me, maybe for some of you as well.

Too early to know if there will be un underwater case for this by Oly or a third party (although Olympus has been releasing their own housings lately). The only other Micro Four Thirds bodies I know of are the Panasonic Lumix DMC models. So, this is all new territory... but worth keeping an eye on. I think for an underwater photographer the Micro Four Thirds units might represent a good compromise between DSLR and high-end compact - hopefully with at least halfway decent video capabilities as well.

Glad to see Olympus ditching that silly xD card format on this one and going plain old SD (well, SDHC to be precise).

Meanwhile, I'm sticking with my trusty old Pentax S5i 5MP point-n-shoot in the factory dive housing...

>*< Fritz

Thank you for the new link. I too have been watching the development of this camera with interst. I think it holds great promise to offer the compactness of a P&S with the performance of a dSLR. I think, fingers crossed, it will be a winner as soon as there are suitable ultrawide lenses for it similar to the Tokina 10-17 fisheye in the new format.

N

Looks like a winner. According to the preview I read on it (LINK) in addition to the 2 lenses it will be releasedc with, there will be adapters to take all 4/3, ZUIKO Digital and OM mount lenses by the release date (in addition to it being completely compatible with all the micro 4/3 lenses that panny/leica releases).

I'm willing to bet money that SOMEBODY will make a housing for it, wether Oly does, or not.

So many toys and not enough money. Maybe I need a new job.

Thanks for that other preview link... this does look like a model worth watching, all it needs is a housing and decent fisheye. And yeah, then all *I* need is a second job (which of course would leave no time to actually, you know, dive and take pictures and stuff...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom