New Official Reef Check California Training Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just personal preference on the music, Billy. It doesn't fit with MY underwater audio experience. Of course the only sounds I hear are from the so-called "silent world." Other than that personal preference musically, I think it is a good piece and a good cause.

The drysuit diver in a hogarthian setup maintains buoyancy and control while the other diver is wrapped up in the measuring tape

I thought that was the point...

I hate to be a party pooper, but I have to agree with Dr. Bill. The music was really annoying. I turned it down right away.
Also, while the divers were checking for invertebrates, they are swimming along at a pace where they would miss thousands of them. Hydroids, tunicates, bryozoans...some are so tiny that you really need to spend an entire dives covering one square meter.

Hi Phil,

On the Reef Check invert. survey we don't look for those critters. We look for Scallops, Gorgonians, some snails & inverts like that not the really small ones. Reef Check calls them the target species other wise it would take forever.

John

Reef Check has been providing scientific data for a few years now and is well past the start-up phase. Here's info from 2006-2007 Reef Check California 2-Year Report - Saving Reefs Worldwide

Billy

They have not gained enough info in my neck of the ocean to ascertain what changes are occurring. As they continue the efforts though they will be able to provide more factual scientific data. As I said above, Reef Check is a great organization and I support and thank those participating.

They have not gained enough info in my neck of the ocean to ascertain what changes are occurring. As they continue the efforts though they will be able to provide more factual scientific data. As I said above, Reef Check is a great organization and I support and thank those participating.

I doubt they'll be able to cover every mile of the California coast unless their roster of citizen scientists and instructors increases. If you believe in their cause, which it sounds like you do, why don't you join up and start taking surveys in your neck of the ocean? It's a lot of fun and the training is extremely fulfilling. It's also a very easy and cheap way to give back to the ocean and make a difference. If you're seeing the same destructive changes that the rest of the coast is seeing, then it would do you and your diving/fishing community a lot of good.

Billy

Peter:

One of my "resolutions" is to set up a north coast training for Reef Check this year. You in?

Peter:

One of my "resolutions" is to set up a north coast training for Reef Check this year. You in?

What are you waiting for Erika, hit Colleen up. Do you still have her info? As long as the interest is there I'm sure they hold a class.

So Peter do you think any other divers besides yourself would be interested?

Billy

We just finished post production on our official Reef Check California Training video. Thanks to everyone who working on this which was a massive group effort including Captain Richard Gayou of the 3 u/w cameras, 2 dive teams with topside support, U/W shot lists printed on waterproof paper with safety divers/AC's. It was a blast to shoot and everyone did an amazing job.

Hopefully this will help new students better prepare for what they're about to start and bring in prospective students. Enjoy

Billy

Great job Billy. You do nice work. The music was fine by me and the voices in my head hummed along. I suppose if it were Gangsta Rap the voices would need to be quelled. To each their own.

I feel Reef Check is very important and a nice scientific dating collecting means, that is impartial. Thanks to all those that participate in the program :)

There is a BIG difference in the two divers featured. The drysuit diver in a hogarthian setup maintains buoyancy and control while the other diver is wrapped up in the measuring tape, but more importantly shown standing on the bottom? Editing out the scene where they are standing on the bottom might be a good thing, especially after the video states staying off the bottom.

I thought the standing diver was giving a good example of what not to do. My impression is that she was a competent diver, but her buddy has mad skills.

Billy, when are we diving again?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom