New, new and not so new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrbluefox

Registered
Reaction score
Morning all, have had a glance round the recent threads but feeling a little lost so please excuse if this question has been answered in another way that I've missed.

Basically I'm off to the Maldives in May to finish my PADI OW course (hence the new bit) after starting it once before and supplementing with snorkelling in the meantime. I've avidly shot with my lumix FT2 and had some pretty good results (hence the not so new bit).

Given that this maybe our last visit to the Maldives for some time, I'd like to attempt to preserve it as much as possible. I understand that I could just buy a video from the dive shop but then it's not MY dive as such.

So I'm looking for a recommendation for a gopro (possibly the H3 silver), a hand grip, possibly a filter (will be diving to 18m max) and advice on white balance as I've read on here it can be a bit hit n miss in auto?

Ideally I'd like to mount it on my head under my mask strap so I can set it and forget it as I'll have enough on my hands being a newbie diver so what are people's recommendations?

tia
Neil

What about the chest strap put on BEFORE you put on your BC. I don't think mask is a very good idea, I think it would require constant attention while diving. Not a good combo for a new diver of any sort.

Of course these recommendations are for AFTER your check out/class dives and after you are comfortable with handling your self on a plain good ole fashion dive.

Of course, I'm fully aware that I'll have enough on my plate and believe the PADI rules are that you can't take cameras with you whilst training anyway.

I'll happily take practical advice to not take anything with me if that's the case.

I DO like the idea of a chest mount under my BCD...hadn't contemplated that...!!

Of course, I'm fully aware that I'll have enough on my plate and believe the PADI rules are that you can't take cameras with you whilst training anyway.

I figured you did, I just wanted to say it just in case! Enjoy the Maldives!!

I'm not sure you will get all that good video if you aren't focusing on it (pun semi intended). During my OW cert dives, I really didn't want to have a camera in the way. The doff and don exercise probably will be an issue for a chest mount. Plus, when I did my cert dives, I had no time for exploring. Your attention should be 100% on the instructor.

BTW, I've not had good luck with a GP chest mounted. I just doesn't shoot good video that way - too much stuff gets in the way. Head/helmet mount seems fairly good but for UW, I think hand held (mounted on some sort of frame or pole) is far superior.

Are you planning additional dives at the resort after certification? I would high recommend that for camera dives.

Plus, do you really want to record your likely dorkiest moves in scuba?

Last edited:
IMO I think you are taking on another layer of complexity, not to mention the distraction while underwater in regards to buddy rules and checking your air and computer. Took me a few dives on my last trip to become comfortable with the setup. I might have been a bit overcautious but I left the filter off and lens cover on until I was handed the rig once I was in the water. Taking off the cover, putting on the filter, attaching the filter cover (with lens cover inside) on my bcd (it floats! so can't attach it to the rig) then turn the go pro on, lcd on, position the lights. Meanwhile my wife and son had to wait for me to do this. Forgot to mention attaching the lanyard. Sometimes the water was rather choppy and I did make dumb mistakes such as when I had not attached the lanyard and I let go of my rig and dropped down 6' to get it...with a snorkel in my mouth... There was the time I had to do all the above while holding on to a rope (rough seas) with the rope getting wrapped around the first stage...

The first dive was a lot of work and very distracting trying to figure everything out. Forget the GoPro, you've enough on your plate! There will always be more dives.

Regarding the distraction point, that's why I wanted something that I could ideally switch on and ignore. Alas, it doesn't look that simple!

Yes I'll be doing extra dives after my certification as I don't want to pass only to never dive again or 5 years!!

I've had my fair share of allergic reactions to jellyfish stings and faulty kit on OW training divers to appreciate it can all go very wrong, very quickly. Yet I can't keep away!!

so I'll either get some Nat Geo footage or be the first fatality from a Titan trigger bite or something!! In all seriousness I'm not bent on taking extra kit underwater for the sake of it, but would like something more than top-down shots like when snorkelling...

I'd wait to get some more experience before introducing one more task to handle. Finishing your OW doesn't mean that you are automatically ready to do so.

Just like the depth limitations on the OW certification (60ft/18m) are not strictly enforced and there won't be someone checking your air to see if you started to head back up, your own judgement should make these call based on your training. It might seem simple at first but these precaution guidelines (that might seem to be excessive) exist in case things turn sour.

I'm sure you won't forget the memories of your first dive, enjoy it and be safe!

Thanks guys. I may just stick to the lumix in the shallows whilst snorkelling

Your ubber simple basic questions eludes to the facts that you need to "glance around" at the go pro forums more, as these basic topics have been covered again and again and again.

no harm no foul. I'd really be focused on getting your open water cert completed in a competent manner, not just that you can bang through open water dives 3/4 skills, but truly do try and become a GOOD diver, not just someone that can breathe underwater.......

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/440952-why-gopro-may-not-right-you.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom