New member with q about locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moliken

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Probably a bit complicated, but here goes anyway. Certified in the 80's and did 125 dives until 1999, but always with difficulties equalizing. I re-entered the scuba world in 2016 after developing a method of swallowing water from a camel back while descending. Then I bought some Doc's Proplugs. I can dive again!!!!! No pain, no residual problems. I have gone to Lembeh and Wakatobi, done over 50 dives and am very happy, FINALLY. What I'm looking for are some suggestions as to where to go next, besides the Caribbean. I have a couple requirements though: At my age of 72, I need assistance with putting on gear and I need easy diving with only little current. I got both things in Lembeh and Wakatobi, but there was nothing large at either place. I don't mind long flights, but I do need these elements taken care of. Ease, calm, and large critters. I love the macro stuff, but would really like some manta, shark, or whale shark time. Thanks

I'm new to this and the largest critters I've seen are sea lions in the Coronado Islands and some of my fellow divers, so I probably can't help you there. But I'm stoked for you to be diving again and welcome to ScubaBoard!

Thanks. I am more than stoked to be able to get underwater again; I cried on my first successful dive after years of thinking that it'd never happen.

Tubbataha in the Philippines gets you all 3, though more of the sharks (every single dive) and whale sharks. Honestly, in the areas where I have seen the 3 you mentioned, there is generally current and/or lower viz. it generally attracts the larger stuff.

The bright side is Tubbataha is accessible by liveaboard only during months of late March-early or mid June but best dived late April-early May. On a liveaboard, you will get all the help you need. You can get in and out of the dinghy without your gear and they can help you carry it onto the dinghy and help you put it on in there. No need to carry the weight on your back if you can’t.

Given that you need calm - I would look into the largest boat that sails there, the Discovery Palawan. It is the largest steel hulled boat sailing out there and is very stable because of this. Their crew was very good and accommodating to special needs. I wrote a review on the boat recently since I went late April 2018.

Thanks. I'll be sure to check out Tubbataha. But I still worry about current. Do you use reef hooks?

Thanks. I'll be sure to check out Tubbataha. But I still worry about current. Do you use reef hooks?

No reef hooks, muck sticks, or gloves allowed at Tubbataha. They are very strict, for good reason, and the diligence has paid off. :) I guess that is a good sign if we didn't really need it...minimal to no current! :)

There was minimal if any current when I was there, but I know we had an experienced DM that was very good about our drop point and timing. I think you would enjoy it. :)

Back
Top Bottom