New Member Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeorgY

Reaction score
Hi guys, as you can see I am new to this forum...

I am 17 years old and am looking to start a small business online selling scuba equipment. I am curious if any of you have had any experience in that area?

Also, more importantly, is anyone aware of the major distributors in North America (especially Canada). I am looking for a company that is ready to affiliate with me as I don't think will be able to afford stocking up on products at first.

Thanks a bunch for any replies.

GeorgY:

I am 17 years old and am looking to start a small business online selling scuba equipment. I am curious if any of you have had any experience in that area?

Also, more importantly, is anyone aware of the major distributors in North America (especially Canada). I am looking for a company that is ready to affiliate with me as I don't think will be able to afford stocking up on products at first.

Nice idea...However, before putting any serious money or effort into this, you may wish to look at a few of the online sites, and info about online selling here on Scubaboard.

LeisurePro is a place that seems to do well in online selling, and also has a storefront in NY. However, they also get great amounts of bad press (as well as good press, to be sure!!) here on SB.

Also, I'm told (Ask Mike Ferrera and others about this) that many manufacturers don't allow online selling. LeisurePro, in fact, has their own warranties on some things(as opposed to the manuf. supporting one for items LP sells), apparently because LP aren't authorized sellers for some of those manufacturers, but somehow manage to come up with the gear anyway...

Oh well...I'm far from an expert on this, but urge you to look around at the info here.

All this being said, I've bought much online and will do so again.

Cheers!

Our club instructor also sells gear and is a friend of mine, so I can tell you a couple of issues you will face right away. One is that a number of the companies require a minimum order size from your store. Varies between companies, but can be several thousand dollars minimum. Another is that many of the companies will not sell to you wholesale as a dealer if there is already a dive shop in the area that they deal with. If the LDS downtown sells Scubapro for example, they (Scubapro) aren't going to talk to you, etc. This is my understanding anyway, of a couple of his bigger complaints.

I understand that there is a lot more to having an actual store than there is to having one online, therefore I'm going for the online option...
As far as purchasing the products...I know that many companies require a minimum purchase amount and like I said..I probably won't be able to afford that, therefore I would rather like to opt for an affiliated program with one of the companies (sort of like amazon affiliates with people to sell their books). However, so far I've been unable to find ANY such program.

firedogut:
Heh, I wasn't exactly sure how affiliate programs work, but from what I basically understand, you just provide the links to their 'super low' priced website and get 10% commision of the purchase is actually made.

the 1st two link give you a "store" your logo and stuff. but when someone orders it goes to their store and they ship the items.

this is what you want. lots of items with out having to buy anything. you make 10% on the sales.

the other two are just for linking to

give them a call

GeorgY:

For openers, you are going to need to wait until you are 18. U.S. law does not give you contractual status to practice business until then. Your mom and dad may have learned to trust you, but nobody else legally may.

Some states will allow a 17yr to enter a contract. You can also get you parents to "co-sign" untill you are 18.

Also alot of times the way things like this work is that you are a independent contactor. Its just like a job (which you can have i fyou are under 18)

your best bet is to call the web sites and talk to them. know remember any money you make you should claim on your taxes. :54:

good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom