New Member looking for recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garyc33

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,

I’m relatively new to diving and plan on doing my advanced open water in October/November has anyone got any recommendations for best places? I will be going on my own.

I also work on cruise ships so very lucky to be able to get off the ship and dive in different places all the time. What are the best dive places in the western Caribbean?

Thanks for your input

They vary, so calling one 'better' is a bit of a stretch at times. Cozumel is very popular. I imagine you'll want to try the diving at most any good Caribbean place you can. So while Cozumel is better known for diving than Costa Maya, both are western Caribbean cruise ports and you can find good diving in both.

I don't know whether the time constraints of a cruise's port time allow for reaching much good diving in Belize; I used a live-aboard boat when diving there. Roatan is popular for diving; perhaps someone can tell you a good dive op. to go with when there, if your ship ports there.

Richard.

Welcome to ScubaBoard Garyc23. A top location for online scuba education and discussions.

Did a little quick online checking. Looks like 'western Caribbean' tends to include Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan, Jamica (Falmouth for example) and Grand Cayman; some Royal Caribbean ships on western itineraries hit Nassau (Bahamas) or Labadee, Haiti (the Bahamas aren't west, or technically Caribbean, but it's where the ship ports that matters).

1.) Cozumel, Roatan and Grand Cayman are famous dive destinations and you'll want to hit them.

2.) Costa Maya doesn't have the name recognition of those 3, but there are positive reports, and I've dove it for a 2-tank trip on a cruise stop; enjoyed it fine.

3.) Judging from various Scuba Board threads, Jamaica does't have a strong reputation as a 'dive destination,' but people there anyway sometimes dive, and some enjoyed their experience. A forum search may turn up some interesting discussions.

4.) Belize is a famous dive destination, but the main diving is not off the mainland - so unless someone familiar with diving it on cruise stops gives better, 1st hand info., I doubt that's going to be a good choice. If anyone knows different, I'm interested to hear it.

5.) I don't see much in the way of trip reports about diving Haiti. Seems like a few years back someone did living did?

Those are in numbered order of how I'd consider them. I'm not breaking it down into how Cozumel, Roatan and Grand Cayman stack up against each other.

Richard.

Did a little quick online checking. Looks like 'western Caribbean' tends to include Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan, Jamica (Falmouth for example) and Grand Cayman; some Royal Caribbean ships on western itineraries hit Nassau (Bahamas) or Labadee, Haiti (the Bahamas aren't west, or technically Caribbean, but it's where the ship ports that matters).

1.) Cozumel, Roatan and Grand Cayman are famous dive destinations and you'll want to hit them.

2.) Costa Maya doesn't have the name recognition of those 3, but there are positive reports, and I've dove it for a 2-tank trip on a cruise stop; enjoyed it fine.

3.) Judging from various Scuba Board threads, Jamaica does't have a strong reputation as a 'dive destination,' but people there anyway sometimes dive, and some enjoyed their experience. A forum search may turn up some interesting discussions.

4.) Belize is a famous dive destination, but the main diving is not off the mainland - so unless someone familiar with diving it on cruise stops gives better, 1st hand info., I doubt that's going to be a good choice. If anyone knows different, I'm interested to hear it.

5.) I don't see much in the way of trip reports about diving Haiti. Seems like a few years back someone did living did?

Those are in numbered order of how I'd consider them. I'm not breaking it down into how Cozumel, Roatan and Grand Cayman stack up against each other.

Richard.
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your info and help I will have a look into these places you have mentioned and give them a go.

Back
Top Bottom