New member from Little Rock, AR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DustyC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Been diving for 5 years, most of the way through my PADI DM program. Just bought a ScubaPro XTEC set up and I'm will be starting tech training next year.

Cool. I lived in Little Rock 4 years in the early to mid. 90's, way before I dove. Sort of like the hole in the donut, surrounded by Arkansas but different.

Where have you dove so far?

Mostly Ouachita. I'm there 3 out of 4 weekends from just before Memorial day to early October. Got certified in Vortex. But other than that, all lakes. And following the theory of go big or go home, in December, I've got a group of friends heading to Bonaire.

Bonaire is a great place; I've been several times & loved it. I recommend reviewing a bunch of the threads on Bonaire on this forum, as the info. can be quite helpful. Key issues: wear thick-soled dive boots, not thin 'booties' due to rough/irregular iron shore that you'll be walking on geared up, and wade out waist deep before you put your fins on, and take them off about waist deep on your way back to shore. Bottom's got rocky roughness near shore that you won't want to try to 'duck walk' on.

Richard.

howdy and welcome from south Florida....

Did you go with John T?

Nope, my parents and a couple cousins. +1 on the think booties. Best tip I was given tho was navigating the reefs. Get a wine bottle cork, neon colored string(strong) and a heavy fishing sinker. Tie them together. Swim out to where you want to descend above the drop off. Find a tall or distinguished rock and place the cork setup there. Remember the depth and continue down the reef. On your way back, stay at that depth and follow the wall back. You will see the cork floating and ascend there(or swim back to shore along the bottom). Never popped up off mark :)

Nope, my parents and a couple cousins. +1 on the think booties. Best tip I was given tho was navigating the reefs. Get a wine bottle cork, neon colored string(strong) and a heavy fishing sinker. Tie them together. Swim out to where you want to descend above the drop off. Find a tall or distinguished rock and place the cork setup there. Remember the depth and continue down the reef. On your way back, stay at that depth and follow the wall back. You will see the cork floating and ascend there(or swim back to shore along the bottom). Never popped up off mark :)
That's exactly what Hunter at OE (where I'm a DM candidate) told me to do. It must work well to be so popular lol

Welcome to ScubaBoard - hopefully you'll join in the conversation!

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom