New Member from Flagstaff AZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drdfblackm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well I am certainly not new to diving but I am new to the forum. Just looking to get back into diving because I have a local buddy now and can start getting back into it.

Thanks
Darrin

Welcome to Scubaboard Drfblackm. Great forum here.

Welcome! I’m from the other side of the state, literally all the way south. I haven’t bothered checking out any diving possibilities in N. AZ. Anyplace up there to dive other than Lake Mead or heading east to Page to dive Powell?

Right now the best I can tell is Lake Pleasant to the South and Lake Powell to the North. But I keep hearing Mohave is really good so I want to check that out.

Mohave is often better than Mead (not counting the B29). - better viz. Mead was really impacted by the drought - one year you could walk to the dive park.

Rob Neto used to maintain a website on diveable AZ lakes but moved to FL years ago, it's not updated.
Dive Sites | Rob Neto

sometimes there's updates here
Southwestern Region

We have a cabin in Elk Park so I've checked out nearby lakes - none seem worth getting wet, I considered Woods Canyon Lake but I think it's too shallow and weedy now.

Been to San Carlos? It;s our summer/fall warm water diving. I've dove there in a t-shirt as late as mid-Oct. El Mar in Mesa keeps a nice dive boat there. Twice a year they charter a bus, monthly they carpool.
Gary's Diving there has a small flee also. San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Diving

From here it's about a 8hr drive - depending on the border crossing. I've also flown - into Guymas - met my friends there - $20 cab ride. Marina Terra is a decent hotel and on the marina the dive boats all leave from.

If the shops get it right, they go down for the Scallopped Hammerhead migration in mid-Oct. Miss it by a week and they're gone though. Most boats go to San Pedro Is. - not a lot of coral but there is a sea lion colony there - they'll be in the water b4 you are. It's a lot of fun.

There;s Rocky Point a couple hours closer but the tidal exchange that far up in the Gulf makes that mostly cloudy. There is one shop there now and they boat dive out to Bird Island. A guide there used to run the Flagstaff office for Scuba Sciences b4 they closed.

Back
Top Bottom