New member from Castrop-Rauxel, Germany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello ScubaBoard, fellow divers and those who want to become divers!

I'm Alex, 31, from germany.
Me and my wife started diving last fall, pretty exact a year ago.
We did our OWD at a small local ProTec shop and are now working on our SSI AOWD (Planned/Courses ongoing: Deep, Night, Perfect Buoyancy and Nitrox) at another shop.

My wife will stop at that certification level since honestly she is too short and weak to rescue any "regular" sized diver; I will go on to Stress&rescue and then entry tec level and cave. (Not interested in becoming a instructor, besides I was asked several times to assist them.)

Luckily, we are a fixed buddy team and can dive one or two days nearly every weekend, therefore we'll hit the 50 next weekend and something between 75 and 100 dives this year.

We already did some challenging dives in freshwater below 30m/~100ft and at 6°C/~42°F which were fascinating (but since we drill ourselves, even with no sight they still felt easy).

Our current instructors, while working under a commercial label instead of a (at least in germany popular) association, are all doing it as a hobby - which is a great benefit to us.
(I for example started my deep training a month ago and already did 7 deep dives with them, cause I decided that I want to go down to 40 before getting the cert...)

Besides some north sea dives in the netherlands, we have no salt water experience yet.

What else...
My wife dives a $Pro Hydros Pro meanwhile because she doesn't like ADV Jackets anymore, is VERY short and that was the ONLY one to fit her properly, I dive a Tecline BPW Set with comfort harness which suits me very nice.
I'm pretty much an equipment fanatic and we both train our buoyancy with great compassion to keep it with "Leave only Bubbles, take only Pictures".
(And god damn, have I seen some boars underwater already, no matter their certification levels.)

I hope to find some hints on travel, other views on equipment and diving techniques and maybe some new friends here (and a friendlier communication than the "Society Bashing" and "I'm better than you cause I have more certs" that you find occasionally in german boards...)

We'll, long enough for an hello I think, I'll close with

"Immer gut Luft!" from germany!
(Translates to something like "Have good air always")

Whoops, thank you, corrected, things the brain knows but decides to not use :bounce:

howdy and welcome from southeast florida usa....happy diving.

Back
Top Bottom