New member and Jerk info.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Over the past few months we have been evaluating a fireman for the team. Every aspect of him has been under the microscope from his general attitude to his dedication and diving ability.

A week ago Thursday he got a unanimous team vote. He is now on the recovery side of the team. Another Gary on the team. He knows we were a little tougher on him because he is the first and we don’t want him to be the last.

We are allowed 10 in-house members but we don’t have a restriction on how many from outside agencies. He now makes two from outside our ranks. One from the City Police and now one Fireman.

I sat down with him tonight for a couple of hours and we had a nice long talk. We have known each other for a lot of years but I want to lay out the playing field as far as PSD goes.

I am totally convinced that he will not play Cowboy and will play by our very strict rules as far as diving within your ability. He has a lot to offer the team and has the full support from his Chief and the heads of the Fire District.

Now they know some costs are involved. Monday after next I get to slam-dunk the Fire District with a request for roughly $5K to get him into matching gear plus another couple of grand to get him trained. Last week I just tossed out the $5 to 10K figures and they didn’t blink at all. Maybe they couldn’t because they were in shock, who knows, time will tell.

We still have three openings in-house and had four apply. I have no voted two and a third was no voted by a couple of the others. That leaves one to fill three positions if he gets accepted.

It is tough filling positions when so many in the department have already been on the team and have burned out. The nice thing is that none of the past members bad-mouth the team. They just tell it like it is. After so many bodies it just gets to you.

The Captain that gave us so many problems and was suspended has resigned instead of being fired. The state started the investigation and when he was presented with the evidence he quit.

Then the County rehires him to fill a position at the Juvenile Detention facility. He would be the head of it and a few other departments and even get a pay raise.

Well, the state stepped in and fired him. Seems they had enough from the investigation that he will never serve in another Public Service job anywhere ever. YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo, it be party time.

With near record high temperatures we have been lucky. “MOST” of our ice is gone but not all and a lot of boats are on the water so keep your fingers crossed people don’t get stupid this weekend.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
The Captain that gave us so many problems and was suspended has resigned instead of being fired. The state started the investigation and when he was presented with the evidence he quit.

ya can't leave us hanging like that! what'd he do?

(I'm assuming if there was state presented evidence that it is public record/matter and you can tell us).

mike_s:
ya can't leave us hanging like that! what'd he do?

(I'm assuming if there was state presented evidence that it is public record/matter and you can tell us).
Just to sum up the Captains actions, he is a dictator and a tyrant.
What he doesn’t understand he restricts so badly the program is no longer operational.

He has been at the jail over the past three years. During that time he treated the corrections officers worse than Sadam treated his people. It was a do as I say, right or wrong, or he would just smack you one. Yes smack. Everyone was so scared in the jail nobody came forward.

Then he transferred to Operations. We just do not put up with the BS the jailers did and stood up to him.

The night of the shooting he brought every one of us involved in it back in to work the next shift. Most of us got a 6-hour break. He gave the two shooters two days off calling them pussies for being upset they shot and killed a dirt bag. He could have cared less that we had an officer shot and we didn’t know if even going to live for a couple of months. He also chewed them out at the scene for firing too many rounds.

Take K-9 for a started. He hates dogs and wanted the K-9 program ended. So he restricted the dogs so bad that they couldn’t get out of the car without HIS permission. That restriction had a part to play in our shootout in December that left an officer on his deathbed.

The dive team was another victim. I wrote the majority of the team policy back in the mid 80’s. On the very first dive we responded to, with him in command, he found a lot of fault with it, by his definition, and was in the process of writing me up but the shooting took center stage and got the heat off of me.

His style of operation was to get two write-ups on everyone as soon as possible. Three write-ups for the same violation makes you subject for termination so he would hold that over your head.

Now here is how he gets the SAME violations on you. Say you’re late for work once. He would write you up for a Violation of Departmental Policy and Disobeying a Direct Order.

Then say you get into a vehicle accident. Again you have a Violation of Departmental Policy and Disobeying a Direct Order. That makes two violations for the same thing.

My write-up was for a Violation of Departmental Policy and Disobeying a Direct Order. He didn’t feel we needed to do the dive we did so we get the wrath of the A-hole. This was from a man that went to Hawaii and almost drowned snorkeling for the first time in 10 feet of protected water.

I guess we didn’t pay the Hawaiians enough to finish the job. But he’s gone now for good. He lasted three years in the jail and three monts in patrol. He under estimated us.

That’s it in a nutshell. There is a lot more but this should give you an idea.

We were joking that if we had 3 positions to fill and Hitler, Manson, Mussolini and the Captain applied, the Captain would be looking for a job.

Evil evil man

Gary D.

Wow - how do individuals (trying to be nice) get positions of authority? That never ceases to amaze me! So glad for you and the Dept. he is gone. That doesn't seem to happen very often.

Becky

Glad to hear it Gary!! your ex cap needs to find a big rock to hide under and never come back, luckily for all of us the state of Idaho found one for him :D

Back
Top Bottom