New member and future diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cathansen92

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi,

I have joined ScubaBoard, hoping that you can help me find a dive school in Tulum, Mexico where I can do my Open Water Course.

I have previously tried scuba diving twice. The second trial dive was amazing and got me hooked and I am now ready to become a certified diver - The first try felt like mass production where as the second try it was just me, another diver, and the instructor. This was so much more my style.

I am therefore looking for something not too big as to not get lost in the crowd during the course. I am also looking for a dive school that is somewhat flexible as I will be working while in Tulum.

I do not speak Spanish so it would need to be all in English - Preferably a native English speaker to properly understand the new words and terminology associated with course.

I am renting an apartment in La Veleta so it would be very convenient if the dive school was close to this neighbourhood.

Hope, you will be able to help with recommendations

Thanks in advance

Call Under the Jungle in Xpu Ha. I don't think they do open water, but ask them who they'd recommend you take a class from. They won't steer you wrong.

Honestly - most shops in the area that have been around for many years and have a decent online reputation are likely to serve you well. Just look for a few that meet those two requirements, email them all, and see which replies you like best.

Dont worry about the language, most shops in Tulum will be used to catering to English speakers. Personally, I’ve found I prefer the smaller operations that focus on cenotes (which can usually arrange open water diving as well) rather than the big ones that own boats.

Don’t worry about the shop location, ask if they can pick you up. Many will.

Enjoy Mexico! It is an amazing place 🇲🇽❤️

Honestly - most shops in the area that have been around for many years and have a decent online reputation are likely to serve you well. Just look for a few that meet those two requirements, email them all, and see which replies you like best.

Dont worry about the language, most shops in Tulum will be used to catering to English speakers. Personally, I’ve found I prefer the smaller operations that focus on cenotes (which can usually arrange open water diving as well) rather than the big ones that own boats.

Don’t worry about the shop location, ask if they can pick you up. Many will.

Enjoy Mexico! It is an amazing place 🇲🇽❤️
Thank you for your reply

Hope, you will be able to help with recommendations
Your location is listed as Denmark, so I take it this is a long distance trip. You said you'll be working while there; how long will you be in the area? I ask because sometimes unforeseen complication like a head cold where you can't clear your ears can knock you out of a few days' diving. If you're working, I imagine this may well be longer than the typical 1-week vacation many take from the U.S. for scuba diving vacations.

My second suggestion to smooth your way is to take the e-learning portion of your OW course in advance, and strive to know the content very well, so the focus of your on-island course can be pool and open water dive skill acquisition and demonstration for certification.

These recommendations aren't specific to Tulum, with which I have no experience, but are regarding pursuing certification on distant trips generally.

Your location is listed as Denmark, so I take it this is a long distance trip. You said you'll be working while there; how long will you be in the area? I ask because sometimes unforeseen complication like a head cold where you can't clear your ears can knock you out of a few days' diving. If you're working, I imagine this may well be longer than the typical 1-week vacation many take from the U.S. for scuba diving vacations.

My second suggestion to smooth your way is to take the e-learning portion of your OW course in advance, and strive to know the content very well, so the focus of your on-island course can be pool and open water dive skill acquisition and demonstration for certification.

These recommendations aren't specific to Tulum, with which I have no experience, but are regarding pursuing certification on distant trips generally.
Yes, I will be there for a while so I should have plenty of time even if I get sick.
Thank you for your recommendations on e-learning. I will look into this

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom