New Mares MR12 reg/XS Scuba octo with airwave inline inflator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darren Dodge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all, I am looking at purchase from LDS of a Mares MR12 Rover reg with XS Scuba octo with the airwave inline inflator connection for the BCD. What are opinions on this set? I will be using my Oceanic integrated air transmitter on this set up to keep everything minimal for travel and airline carry on. I'm just looking for people thoughts and experience. My dive partner will be buying the same set up and I'm thinking it will simplify equipment understanding between us knowing each others gear workings.
thanks
Darren

MR12 is a tried and true design from the early to mid 70's,super reliable easy to service balanced diaphragm reg. just about identical to the USD conshelf so that the US Navy could pretty much substitite one for the other in its parts inventory. One of the best selling regs ever made, USN class A rating (suitable for moderately heavy work at 200') iirc. It's still a very good reg and still nearly identical,to todays aqualung regs like the Titan and legend, internally anyway, they use the same repair kit.

Your second stages are fairly basic I think, and should give good breathing performance. They can be traded up later if need be.

A decent buy overall,that should give decades of good service. Enjoy.

I would be sure that the time tested MR-12 first stage has the newer Tri-Material high pressure seat. AND, if you intend to travel, I would definitely rethink the octo.

Putting aside the usual arguments for and against integrated octos in OOA emergencies (you can use the search function and spend days reading the arguments), if the octo fails and must be disconnected, then one loses the power inflator as well. Who knows where your travels will take you. So, if the integrated cannot be repaired on site, it becomes more complicated than just digging up a conventional octo and screwing it onto your first stage.

Some years ago I was on a live aboard trip with a very good diver whose integrated octo failed on the first day of the trip. Although they tried, none of the crew could stop it from seriously freeflowing. I loaned him an octo from my backup reg, so that his buddy did not become essentially a solo diver. By the end of the trip he was pretty tired of orally inflating his bc, but he was a very experienced diver and made it work. I doubt that a newbie would have the same attitude. And, although intuitively it seems so, you really do not save very much in baggage weight by going to an integrated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom