New Liveaboard vs Old Tried and Trusted LOB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ncscuba23

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys - massively torn. We're debating booking a brand new LOB in Asia for their 3rd voyage, over a long running and presumably reliable operator. The location has currents and drifts, which after LOBs in Komodo, Raja, Maldives in last 12 months we're ready for.

My concern is that the boat is new, perhaps new dive guides not as familiar with the area.

Any experience or thoughts on this? Appreciate any help.

I would probably go with tried and trusted.

The two are Ocean Hunter 3, and Black Pearl (7liveaboard) - the new one, in Palau. I'm trying to book the Black Pearl but I can't even send wire because I think their info is wrong. Boat looks amazing, though.

Ah...28 divers... looks like they put good money into it but the 28 divers and the ‘fyre festival’ level claims of luxury etc mean I would likely wait to see some first hand reviews on this board :)

....I mean.... ‘electric dartboard’ though.... that’s luxury...:)

if the diving schedules etc are smooth.. and they would need a 10/10 deck team to pull that off with 28 divers..then I would go for it..

Ah...28 divers... looks like they put good money into it but the 28 divers and the ‘fyre festival’ level claims of luxury etc mean I would likely wait to see some first hand reviews on this board :)

if the diving schedules etc are smooth.. and they would need a 10/10 deck team to pull that off with 28 divers..then I would go for it..
28 divers, so 7 divers per guide, however, for Feb 3rd, they're not even half full. Discounted because new...But OH3 is 6 divers per guide.

One thing that seemed odd - controlling of dive times. 60 minute first dive, 50 2nd, 45 3rd and 4th. What's the point of nitrox?

There's always Aggressor but...ehh. Aggressor.

Another option for you, although admittedly not a cheap one. Some friends that I trained with in Bali, have taken up residency in Flores and own/operate a Dive Center there. They just recently finished this boat and have completed a few voyages so far with good reviews. When I finally get back to Indo, this is where I'm heading. If they have any trips that coincide with your dates/areas of interest, it may be worth looking into. Just my 2psi

Back
Top Bottom