New liveaboard for Tubbataha Reef: Infiniti?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krist3l

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm holding a couple of spots for a trip in May on the Infiniti.
Infiniti Liveaboard

Do any of you know anything about the history of the boat or the provider? I believe it was remodeled after it used to sail on the Indian Ocean.

Dive Spots
"The dive sites visited on this trip include and are not limited to the Malayan wreck, Wall Street, Amos rock, shark Airport, Washing Machine and the ranger station on the North Atoll. On the South Atoll, we will visit South West Wall, Staghorn Point, Delsan Wreck, Black Wreck and T wreck. On the way back we will dive the famous Jessie Beazley Reef located north west of the North Atoll."

Does this seem like a good choice?

The other options I'm considering are Stella Maris and Discovery Palawan. Am I missing any boats that I should be considering in the <$3K price range or a 6-day trip?

I'll be sure to report back on my experience if I end up going with this vessel.

I'm holding a couple of spots for a trip in May on the Infiniti.
Infiniti Liveaboard

Do any of you know anything about the history of the boat or the provider? I believe it was remodeled after it used to sail on the Indian Ocean.

Dive Spots
"The dive sites visited on this trip include and are not limited to the Malayan wreck, Wall Street, Amos rock, shark Airport, Washing Machine and the ranger station on the North Atoll. On the South Atoll, we will visit South West Wall, Staghorn Point, Delsan Wreck, Black Wreck and T wreck. On the way back we will dive the famous Jessie Beazley Reef located north west of the North Atoll."

Does this seem like a good choice?

The other options I'm considering are All Star Stella Maris and MV Discovery Palawan. Am I missing any boats that I should be considering in the <$3K price range or a 6-day trip?

I'll be sure to report back on my experience if I end up going with this vessel.

Let us know if you have any questions regarding All Star Stella Maris. We do visit both the North & South Atoll as well as Jessie Beazley Reef on our Tubbataha trips.

We have cabins starting at $2,080 for a 6-night itinerary and this includes local ground transfers and free nitrox. There is availability in May 2019. Feel free to message us with any questions - kevin@allstarliveaboards.com Our website is under construction so if you can't find something on the Philippines page you can call or email us and we will be happy to assist.

www.allstarliveaboards.com/philippines

It looks like a comfortable boat. My only hesitation with new boats in an area is my inclination to wonder how experienced the crew, and specifically the DMs are, with the dive sites and the little nuances that can make or break a dive based on when and where you enter and how familiar they are with pointing out the local life. The free nitrox is nice! I wrote a review on the Discovery Palawan on a recent trip this late April. I also considered the Stella Maris since it doesn't have a wooden hull but the lime green and silver in the rooms put me off. I couldn't imagine being at sea having to look at that while the boat was rocking. :D I was also told by others who have gone that Tubs can sometimes be rough and with it being largely open water with an overnight crossing both ways, I opted for a larger boat which ended up being a good idea for the first day or two that we were out there. Of course, I can't say no to amazing food either. :)

Interesting! You didn't find the Palawan to be too crowded?

It looks like a comfortable boat. My only hesitation with new boats in an area is my inclination to wonder how experienced the crew, and specifically the DMs are, with the dive sites and the little nuances that can make or break a dive based on when and where you enter and how familiar they are with pointing out the local life. The free nitrox is nice! I wrote a review on the Discovery Palawan on a recent trip this late April. I also considered the Stella Maris since it doesn't have a wooden hull but the lime green and silver in the rooms put me off. I couldn't imagine being at sea having to look at that while the boat was rocking. :D I was also told by others who have gone that Tubs can sometimes be rough and with it being largely open water with an overnight crossing both ways, I opted for a larger boat which ended up being a good idea for the first day or two that we were out there. Of course, I can't say no to amazing food either. :)

I think at this point I'm torn between the Infiniti and the Stella Maris. I know the Infinity will be comfortable, but the Stella Maris is about $500 cheaper.

For a 6-day liveaboard I'm thinking I can skip some of the comforts...
I wish there were more reports of the Stella Maris on here!

Interesting! You didn't find the Palawan to be too crowded?

Hi!

I have been spoiled by 8-15 person max capacity liveaboards in some other regions of Southeast Asia. I was a little worried after I booked, but to be honest, the boat and all the areas were so large, I didn't even notice that it was as many people as it was. If you look at it from a number of guests vs. length and beam of boat, it is proportional to the smaller boats so it isn't like they are cramming everyone on board. It actually felt like it was half of what it really was. They do an excellent job of spacing and staggering out the dives for the different groups and for most of the dives, we (my group) were the only ones in the immediate area. We would pass another group coming or going but it was nice to not have a total cluster in the water. I have felt more "crowded" diving at other resorts or with other liveaboards, either with people from the same group or others also trying to dive the same site.

Also, because the ship is so large, it is too large to moor so it constantly runs 24 hours a day. What's nice about that is while other boats rely on a mooring line, the Palawan can kind of be wherever, depth permitting, and then run dinghies out. It makes for easy coming and going and good flexibility, not to mention excellent stability in the water. The first 2 days we were there, we could see the Philippine Siren nearby in the rough water and it was really listing badly side to side. I couldn't imagine what it felt like on it!

I wouldn't hesitate to go on it again.

The catch with the Palawan is that they have tons of surcharges, including $16 per tank for Nitrox. The other two include it for free...

Why didn't you end up going with Stella Maris?

Hi!

I have been spoiled by 8-15 person max capacity liveaboards in some other regions of Southeast Asia. I was a little worried after I booked, but to be honest, the boat and all the areas were so large, I didn't even notice that it was as many people as it was. If you look at it from a number of guests vs. length and beam of boat, it is proportional to the smaller boats so it isn't like they are cramming everyone on board. It actually felt like it was half of what it really was. They do an excellent job of spacing and staggering out the dives for the different groups and for most of the dives, we (my group) were the only ones in the immediate area. We would pass another group coming or going but it was nice to not have a total cluster in the water. I have felt more "crowded" diving at other resorts or with other liveaboards, either with people from the same group or others also trying to dive the same site.

Also, because the ship is so large, it is too large to moor so it constantly runs 24 hours a day. What's nice about that is while other boats rely on a mooring line, the Palawan can kind of be wherever, depth permitting, and then run dinghies out. It makes for easy coming and going and good flexibility, not to mention excellent stability in the water. The first 2 days we were there, we could see the Philippine Siren nearby in the rough water and it was really listing badly side to side. I couldn't imagine what it felt like on it!

I wouldn't hesitate to go on it again.

I've been on Siren and Seadoors to Tubbataha. Both boats did same dive sites.
Siren was more comfortable, much bigger boat. It is Phinisi style boat. I got a last minute deal from Siren web site.
Seadoors was a smaller boat. Great food. It's run by a French owner who stays on board. It was cheaper.

Attachments

• BM Gitar.jpg
    BM Gitar.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 82
Size and experience of crew matter a lot. It's makes a big difference when the crossing is rough, and where they select the appropriate dive sites around the North & South atolls.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time on board the Palau Sport earlier this year. David W Choy - M/Y Palausport Philippines ... but it nearly sold-out for 2019.

My wife and I will be on the Infiniti this November for the Malapascua & Leyte itinerary. Everything I was able to find online indicated that this is a well-regarded boat that was re-located to the Philippines. The timing of the move was interesting to me, as a few months ago when I was doing the research for this trip it struck me that the Philippines was really under-served by liveaboards, considering how good the diving is supposed to be (this will be my first time there) and how generally accessible the country is. Then as if on queue, the Infinity and Stella Maris show up seemingly within a few weeks of each other.

Will post a trip report when I get back, as clearly there isn't much out there at this point.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom