New & Lake George

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agreva3

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi! I'm planning to go to Lake George for a quick weekend getaway, and I was looking at scuba diving.

I only tried scuba diving once before: in a school pool when I was a boy scout years ago.

Is there any advice about how I can scuba dive in Lake George?

Target Date: August 10, 2019 (Saturday)

(If it's not possible, then I can accept that! I found Diamond Divers, but I noticed that other services require certifications.)

Not likely you will be able to dive as you need to be certified . May be able to arrange a discover scuba experience.I suggest calling ahead and maybe the dive facility has an instructor available . If truly interested in learning to dive sign up for a open water course.

I found Diamond Divers, but I noticed that other services require certifications.)

All legitimate Dive Ops require a certification. At least in the USA. For good reason. Scuba diving isn't one of those things where you just strap on a tank and a buoyancy vest and pop a regulator in your mouth and jump in the water. There's a lot of stuff you need to know in order to end the dive in at least as good a shape as you were in before.

I checked my logbook and I dived Lake George back in 2012 with Halfmoon Marine Services. Lots of great wrecks in that lake, well preserved in the freshwater, but it's cold. My dive computer recorded temps as low as 53 degrees.

Not likely you will be able to dive as you need to be certified . May be able to arrange a discover scuba experience.I suggest calling ahead and maybe the dive facility has an instructor available . If truly interested in learning to dive sign up for a open water course.

So it sounds like the advancement order is something like this:

1) Discover scuba experience (if not sure whether I'm interested)
2) Open water course (around where I live)
3) Certification
4) Dive in Lake George for vacation

If I understood you correctly, then maybe I can try Lake George sometime in the future. ^_^

Thanks so much!

I checked my logbook and I dived Lake George back in 2012 with Halfmoon Marine Services. Lots of great wrecks in that lake, well preserved in the freshwater, but it's cold. My dive computer recorded temps as low as 53 degrees.

Half moon sold the boat. He is no longer operating. I heard someone else bought his boat and is operating now, but I have no info on the new owner and/or if the boat has changed names.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom