New Kit Time!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PoPo Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Christmas came early amigos! Waiting on my tanks and doubles manifold to put it all together!

Attachments

• 2F9F5347-66B5-4402-966C-33F908780413.jpeg
    2F9F5347-66B5-4402-966C-33F908780413.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 226
I say magnificent in order to sustain your happiness

Ok scubaboard experts: first dive on the new rig today. She’s very heavy... like don’t exhale kind of heavy. Do you guys and gals think an aluminum backplate would stand up to the weight of double AL 80s. I’ll weigh the different plates tonight but I believe it’s gonna be about a 5 pound difference or so. I had no additional/ditchable
weight today and can post a video if that helps. This is like the scuba equivalent of RoastMe... LOL

Ok scubaboard experts: first dive on the new rig today. She’s very heavy... like don’t exhale kind of heavy. Do you guys and gals think an aluminum backplate would stand up to the weight of double AL 80s. I’ll weigh the different plates tonight but I believe it’s gonna be about a 5 pound difference or so. I had no additional/ditchable
weight today and can post a video if that helps. This is like the scuba equivalent of RoastMe... LOL

Using an aluminum plate with double steels is not uncommon. The weight of AL80 doubles is not going to break an aluminum plate.

Diverite makes a skeletonized stainless steel plate the same weight as an aluminum plate. Corrosion is less of a concern if you dive in salt. Works fine with Al or steel tanks, singles or doubles.

what size lift is that bladder?

Diverite makes a skeletonized stainless steel plate the same weight as an aluminum plate. Corrosion is less of a concern if you dive in salt. Works fine with Al or steel tanks, singles or doubles.

what size lift is that bladder?

I’ve got the plate you’re thinking of (XT Lite). Weight wise...it’s middle of the road (2lbs 9.4oz) between aluminum (2lbs) and most steel (5lbs+). It’s a nice plate.

Divezonescuba
The wing is a 60 lb. It had a bungee system on it that I removed so I could manage the bubble a little better.

AL 80s get a little light when empty, so using a SS plate is common. With that said, you definitely have to do your own weight check. An AL plate will absolutely handle the weight of double tanks. I use an AL plate with my steel double 100s. So if that works for you, use it!

Do you guys and gals think an aluminum backplate would stand up to the weight of double AL 80s.

It will work without any problem. Just about everyone I know uses an AL backplate with their doubles. This allows shifting weight rearward to improve trim and reduce a head-heavy position. They work fine with my double Faber HP100 and my double Worthies HP120s.

From your photos, it appears you installed your tanks on the very top mounting hole of the back-plate. Move it down to the bottom hole. It looks like the isolator will be well above your head.

O.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom