New Housing from Sony for full Rx100 Line, Anyone tried it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gummybun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I see there is a new Housing that will fit the full line of Rx100's. Has anyone tried this out yet, does it really fit the full line-up? And how well does it work? I see that it has dual seals, which is a nice touch. And it retails for around $350.

Sony Underwater Housing

gTxpshl.png

I bought and have used it on 4 dives out in the Maldives paired with a Sea & Sea YS-D1.

Yes all 5 versions fit. You are given a couple of plastic adapters to change between camera versions. I have version 1 and 3 and both fit well and snug.

The only complaint I have is that you can't use the control wheel to change Shutter and Aperture which is a shame. So its a bit cumbersome to shoot manual. The only work around is to set Aperture in M mode then switch to S mode for Shutter then switch back to M mode (The camera remembers the last Shutter you picked). Sony needs to come out with a firmware update to be able to use the wheel for both Shutter and Aperture in Manual mode with a quick press of a button. This should be very easy to accomplish I assume and should be done ASAP.

Hands down I think this is pretty good. I was about to purchase the Sea & Sea version but when I saw that Sony announced this at a 1/3 of the price I think this is hard to beat. The quality in my opinion is good too.

Hope this helps

DSC01956.JPG

DSC01950.JPG

I bought and have used it on 4 dives out in the Maldives paired with a Sea & Sea YS-D1.

Yes all 5 versions fit. You are given a couple of plastic adapters to change between camera versions. I have version 1 and 3 and both fit well and snug.

The only complaint I have is that you can't use the control wheel to change Shutter and Aperture which is a shame. So its a bit cumbersome to shoot manual. The only work around is to set Aperture in M mode then switch to S mode for Shutter then switch back to M mode (The camera remembers the last Shutter you picked). Sony needs to come out with a firmware update to be able to use the wheel for both Shutter and Aperture in Manual mode with a quick press of a button. This should be very easy to accomplish I assume and should be done ASAP.

Hands down I think this is pretty good. I was about to purchase the Sea & Sea version but when I saw that Sony announced this at a 1/3 of the price I think this is hard to beat. The quality in my opinion is good too.

Hope this helps

Maybe not exactly.
According to Sony official support seems that any type of lens or filter attached on thread can't be used when an mk1 or mk2 are set 'cause the center of the camera's lens and the one on the housing doesn't align themselves.
Notice when using Underwater Housing [MPK-URX100A] | SONY

However Inon say that with their wide or macro lenses only vignetting can occur while in wide zooming.
INON NEWS: Compatibility with Sony DSC-RX100 series/MPK-URX100A

Who to believe?
Can you try to set your mk1 and verify that? And maybe try some macro lens if you had one?
That could be very useful for me and my RX100 mk1.

That's pretty disappointing!
I mean, I can live with that on my cheap Meikon housing, but how can the camera manufacturer itself leave out a basic function like that?
The Sony housing is not really expensive either, but still... seriously?

For the control wheel function, it seems like it would be basically impossible to make a housing to fit all 5 RX100 models that could control the rear wheel on all of them. This is the first housing that works across all RX100 models afterall. They use a special plate insert on the back of the camera to fit with different models that have slight dimension changes. Kind of frustrating, I suppose, but a $350 housing is a pretty decent price.

The note about the RX100 I and II not aligning the same way on the housing's port is unfortunate though. Even if INON says it is compatible, their webpage doesn't really specify that they tested their lenses on the RX100 I and II. Seems like Sony is specifically calling this issue out, so I'd think it is probably correct. If I were buying with the intent to use wet lenses, I'd definitely go for the III - V models. I found an image that compares the II to the III, and you can see the lens "housing" is different between the two:

dkamera_Vergleichstest_Sony_Cybershot_DSC_RX100_III_vs_RX100_II_vs_Canon_PowerShot_G7_X_03.jpg

An engineering puzzle - would have been fun to work on. But for me the idea that if I bought the new mkV , I could keep my old mkll as a 'hail Mary' back up camera if, while traveling half way round the globe, if I were to flood the primary camera.

Sure there are other options, like 2 of the same camera, but I'd like to upgrade and I can't afford 2 mkV's. I have to say though that while they were working on a wonder-case, they included for accommodating a stick on grip, and a more pronounced handle grip in the plastic case to receive a battery bank inside the case. That feature would make me drool.

Hey there Mr. Sony, hire me next time! Pleeese.

I'm not sure I would eventually fit my second camera in an housing that has been flooded with the primary one inside. :D

Seriously one important thing I think they miss to improve is the possibility to keep the AG-R2 grip on camera. It can't be attached and detached every time. That grip is like be married: the first time is for life otherwise never more.

Last edited:
Seriously one important thing I think they miss to improve is the possibility to keep the AG-R2 grip on camera. It can't be attached and detached every time. That grip is like be married: the first time is for life otherwise never more.

Exactly! I agree. For those of us that carry around our cameras topside that optional grip is really nice. One of the bestest features of my old Gseries Canons - they were like, stuck to your hand. I can't use the sony add-ons 'cause they won't fit in the housings - although I am pretty sure I could file down the plastic hold-offs to suit.

Also does the new Sony case allow for easy use of Moisture Munchers? I love those little tubes, but they don't fit well in the Miekon housing I use. I will be modding that soon - but it really gets my goot that so little x-use thought goes into some of these moulds. And how about a vacume bulkhead? I mean like it is a $1000 dollar camera, that you will be using hundreds of miles from a service center - how about some accident averse detailing! (but thanks for the double o-ring Mr. Sony, good start.)

As for using a case after a major flood - happened to me 3 times, got away with it twice. Also had several minor leaks. I carry a loupe with me and have always found the offending hair/fiber - can't blame the case for that, and once the ring is cleaned and siliconed they always make good.

Attached is a photo of the front of the housing with an RX100 Mark 1

IMG_9281.JPG

Note the position of the center of the lens slightly above and right of center!

How would this affect wet lenses by INON, Sea & Sea, Ikelite, Nauticam and others?

Per INON from the link provided by Supernaut05 it should work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom