New housing, and a question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

southernblue

Registered
Reaction score
:DHello All, i just received my ikelite housing for my 400d:14:

As i have no strobes yet, i am going to at least get it wet and shoot some ambient shots down at my local reef.

My question is do i need to connect the hot shoe connector to the camera, my guess is yes to stop the auto flash from popping up? but i am not sure.

Also i am thinking of weighting the housing and securing it with rope (truckies knots and a padlock, maybe some welding :wink:) and sinking it to 10 meters for a soak then raising it for its first leak test without the camera. Is this a good idea?

Any help will be appreciated thanks.

Probably doesn't matter if the hotshoe is connected or not, but I would do it anyway for the reason you said. As well, if it's in it's proper place it can't interfere with anything else. One thing I would be careful about when putting weights in the housing is damaging the internal components of the housing - levers and gears and such. Be sure to pad any weight enough (preferably use a soft pouch in a plastic bag to avoid any lead dust). A leak test is probably a good idea, though I've no doubt that Ikelite has already factory tested your housing to over 60 meters, but it's always good for your own peace of mind.

:DThanks Warren, yes i have been told to wrap my weight in something soft, i was thinking of just tying the weight to one of the handles and secure the rope to the other one.

Its good to have that peace of mind knowing the thing doesn't leak on its first swim:wink:

I think I'd just take it on a dive for a leak test. Just remember, there is a chance for a leak each and every dive after the housing has been opened and closed. I think most leaks are user error rather than a problem with the housing. So make sure you take the time to properly set it up. Oh yeah, and get insurance just in case.

Back
Top Bottom