New Hoses, Regulator, SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive&Ski

Reaction score
I just bought some new hoses to go along with a 2nd stage reg and a SPG and plan on putting them together myself. It seems simple enough, but are there any gotcha's I should know about? Should I be applying some lube or silicone or anything to the fittings or do they just screw in? Thanks.

You can put some silicon grease on the o-rings on the hose fittings... VERY LIGHTLY. Don't goop it on there or you'll attract dust and have leaks. Just enough to make it a little shiny is the rule. But after this just get your crescent wrench and tighten them up and you're good. No magic or insider secrets here. :)

I have changed hoses on my regs many times and have never applied any lubricant. This has not created any problems in any way over the 30 years I have been diving. If you do use lube make sure it is one suitable for use with high PPO2 levels.

Keep in mind that you don't need to tighten your hoses too tightly - just firm, without applying too much force. A correct sized spanner is the best way to do it to avoid any damage to the metal, but a correctly adjusted shifter will do the job.

Lubing is not required but since the Oring does slide past other parts it's a good idea. The big key here is the hoses need to be SNUG....finger tight plus a little. No need to crank down on them. The Oring does the sealing so if they leak when snugged up, replace the Oring, DON'T tighten more.

Back
Top Bottom