New here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3 8

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi all,
I'm a PhD student in computer science - entering year 6 and hoping to graduate soon. The last 3 years, one research project I was helping on was a waterborne illness risk assessment tool for scuba divers and swimmers. One dataset I never came across online was dive logs. For example, DAN has many dive logs and they've published work related to analysis of these. But DAN does not publish the dive logs. Does anyone know of a public dive logs repository? I'm especially curious about any illnesses that might have been recorded following the dive.

You're wasting your time.

Divers don't typically experience post dive symptoms secondary to a waterborne illness (aside from DCS and AGE of course). And if they did, it wouldn't be very likely that it would be entered into their dive log.

6 years. Isn't that a long time to pursue a degree?

You're wasting your time.

Divers don't typically experience post dive symptoms secondary to a waterborne illness (aside from DCS and AGE of course). And if they did, it wouldn't be very likely that it would be entered into their dive log.

I guess I'm looking a bit more at diving in contaminated waters, so not typical recreational diving. So the logs of interest might not be from everyday divers in this case, but specifically perhaps commercial or other occupational divers.

Having illness as part of the log data would certainly make the logs more relevant. But my thought is having logs could still be helpful, for example: water quality observations (e.g. turbidity), dive location (e.g. near known contaminants), dive time (e.g. after heavy rainfall), dive depth (e.g. near the surface or seafloor where bacteria and viruses are more likely to be found), longer or repeated dives in contaminated areas, any notes on fatigue or discomfort or non-specific symptoms.

4-6 years seems common in my program. In any case I'm actually at a point where I've been interviewing for full-time roles outside of my program, and we'll see how it goes from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom