New guy in Houston and where to get certs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orlowskij

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone. I just moved to Houston a couple days ago and I'm ready to get my OW certification. I completed all of the course and pool work for a NAUI course in school a couple years ago but didn't make it out for my open water dives. Now I've finally got some time to do it and a few friends who dive. I've done a good bit of searching but I'm still looking for recs on shops/instructors for certifications. I'm in the river oaks/galleria area, looking at maybe Gigglin' Marlin or Sea Sports now. I plan on checking out all of the local shops in person but I want to get some places that I definitely want to see/avoid. Thanks.

Both of the shops you mention have good reputations. If you want to stick with NAUI I believe GM is a NAUI shop. If you don't care, both of the shops you mention are PADI shops. For SSI, see Houston Scuba Academy, or Oceanic Ventures. OVI is a boutique shop. You will pay more, but will get more personalized service.

Ask your friends which dive shop they deal with, and go interview that shop. I know of a really good shop in Austin, but nothing in Houston.

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Ask your friends which dive shop they deal with, and go interview that shop. I know of a really good shop in Austin, but nothing in Houston.

We're all in the same boat, everyone just moved here from elsewhere.

Wookie-Thanks for the info, I'm not set on one or the other. I'll start making my way around town and checking them out.

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

We're all in the same boat, everyone just moved here from elsewhere.

Wookie-Thanks for the info, I'm not set on one or the other. I'll start making my way around town and checking them out.

If you drink beer, you really want to meet up with the fine folks from CHUM, the City of Houston Underwater Mariners. They meet on the third Thursday at the Stag's Head pub. They are completely independent of shop or boat, and are a fun bunch indeed. Reefhound on this board is the president for another week or so. See their chat room at chum. They are a drinking club with a diving problem.

GM is Padi. do not believe they have a naui instructor however I am sometimes wrong :) :D You will likely have to start from scratch. If you can wait till May, I would be happy to do it(should be an instructor then :wink: ). Giggilin is a good shop, I like them. you will likely be doing your open water in dark green water however so be prepared.

If you drink beer, you really want to meet up with the fine folks from CHUM, the City of Houston Underwater Mariners. They meet on the third Thursday at the Stag's Head pub. They are completely independent of shop or boat, and are a fun bunch indeed. Reefhound on this board is the president for another week or so. See their chat room at chum. They are a drinking club with a diving problem.

I definitely drink beer, I'll look into CHUM for sure.

GM is Padi. do not believe they have a naui instructor however I am sometimes wrong You will likely have to start from scratch. If you can wait till May, I would be happy to do it(should be an instructor then ). Giggilin is a good shop, I like them. you will likely be doing your open water in dark green water however so be prepared.

That's fine, I was leaning towards padi anyway. It is also nice that GM is 2 blocks from my apartment. I'm almost certainly going to do it within a month, but if I get delayed I'll keep you in mind.

Well I'm scheduled for my OW course at GM next week. Hope to see you guys out in the water soon.

Check with GM about the Dive Texas event to encourage diving the many sites around Texas. Put Lake Travis, located in Austin, on your list of local diving and do a boat dive with us to explore the many sites available on the lake. Our website is Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba.

Welcome to the swamp.

Robert
Lake Travis Scuba
Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba

Another nod to Gigglin Marlin. I've known them for several years and they are a top knotch organization.

In addition to CHUM, you can also look into BAD, Bay Area Divers. Not the big party groiup that CHUM is, but they are a good group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom