new gizmo to repel sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard of different versions of this divice. It sounds great for surfing, but I have to agree, with Bob3, why would you want to scare sharks away. I consider any dive that includes sharks a highlight of any trip.

My husband purchased one of these gizmos. It can be turned on while in the water if a shark shows aggressive behavior. He hasnt had a chance to use it yet as we are new divers and our first and so far only shark encounter was very pleasent.

The people who normally get the most use from the device is the abalone divers. They are the biggest casualties of white shark attacks and they seem to hep. Its not practical for a shark diver because it costs so mush to go out on one of those shark dives (sharks tend to live in very expensive areas) that the last thing you want to do is scare it away.
cheers,

Eli
www.sharkdivermag.com

Technology originated in South Africa I believe and the Aussies knew a smart idea...

A note of warning though: according to the latest info, the device should be turned on at all times in the water, not just when a shark shows aggressive behaviour. This establishes the boundary from the onset. Put another way, within the favourite Great White areas - False Bay, Cape Town for instance - you will probably not see the one that bites you, not with viz often around 5-10m. So, you might not have a chance to turn it on. :10: Amazing animals, to be treated with respect...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom