New gear. You were warned, right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dody

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After 9 months stuck in Cape Verde, I went back to Europe. Of course, I spent a small fortune buying diving gear: new wetsuit with hood, new BCD, new mask, gloves, knives, flashlights, SMB and of course against all advices, I used them all at once for my next dive.
Lessons learnt: you can’t fix your mask with gloves the first time. I used to dive with 5kg lead. With a new wetsuit, 7 were barely enough. I had trouble descending and could not hold my 5 meters safety stop at the end of the dive.
Over my 60+ dives, I have got used to the purge valve rather than the LPI. Well, not so easy with gloves.
Last, the hood protects you from heat loss but I hate it.
Overall, I felt like I was a newbie diver again. I ****** up.

Unintentional surfacing from 7 meters and no air in the BCD is not a comfortable feeling. You exhale, exhale, exhale and the next thing you see is 0 meter on your diving computer. Did not have the time to do face up skydiver position.

You think that’s bad? Wait until your first time in a drysuit. :rofl3: You’ll be all over the place. :D

Glad you’re OK.
. I will never do dry suit or cold waters. I just hate the cold. For me 20 degrees water temp is already too cold. I have a wonderful lake in front of my house in the Netherlands but I have never dived north of the south of France.

. I will never do dry suit or cold waters. I just hate the cold. For me 20 degrees water temp is already too cold. I have a wonderful lake in front of my house in the Netherlands but I have never dived north of the south of France.

That’s warm water in my neck of the woods. Guess you just won’t dive as often.

. I will never do dry suit or cold waters. I just hate the cold. For me 20 degrees water temp is already too cold.
Your thoughts. I hate warm waters due to i cannot spend enough money to dive in. +1 deg.C - umm, pretty cold, +4 - typical, +8 - oh, what a hot bath... :wink:

Your thoughts. I hate warm waters due to i cannot spend enough money to dive in. +1 deg.C - umm, pretty cold, +4 - typical, +8 - oh, what a hot bath... :wink:
Last time I cried like a baby was because of the cold. I had missed the school bus and had to walk 4 miles by minus 10. Still have nightmares about it. :)

sorry, had to post this..

ice dive stuff 042.JPG

Last, the hood protects you from heat loss but I hate it.

I despise wearing a hood, but its a necessity for local diving. I mostly hate it on the surface, as I feel like I cant hear anything. Someone says something, Im always pulling out the side of the hood "Huh?"

The thing I look forward to most about warm water is going without a hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom