New Freedom Plates are here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric,

I'm glad you've made another run on the Freedom plates. I've seen Tao's and really like the new design--one of these day's I'd like to try his out, or just get one myself. I'm still very happy with the first-gen plate I have and to this day get plenty of double-takes when they see a nicely polished plate with bright yellow webbing. I've been diving a lot with Tao and my camera, so if you ever need video footage of the Freedom plate in action, just let either of us know, or better yet you can see for yourself at the NCD website. I along with many of my dive buddies are huge believers in the Freedom Plate and won't hesitate to talk to anyone about it.

Ericson
Hi Ericson,

Thanks for the kind words. Performamce difference between the new and ols versions are almost non distinguishable. The new version has some tightened up geometry but the basic feel is identical. If you ever wanted to switch to a Mach V you would need a new plate or I could retro fit your old one (easier to just get a new one).
However, the new ones aren't polished like the old ones, they are orbital sanded down to 180 grit which seems to be a good industrial finish that disguises scratches well and provides a nice even satin finish. Going after that high glamour jewelery look is a little time intensive and impractical for a piece of dive gear that's meant to be used and abused. I would have to charge a small fortune now to polish each and every plate. It's quite a process, but I agree, it sure does look nice.

Hey I'll take you and Tao up on that photo session. We'll plan a trip to Breakwater or somewhere.

Take care

I've been using one of the alu plates. Just swapped a Zeagle 34lb wing out for an Oxy MachV 18lb. Awesome setup for travelling and warm water.

The raw alu wasn't liking the seawater so much, so I pollished it up and anodized it when I did up a bunch of bike parts. Turned out good. :)

scuba-pimped-bpw.jpg

That anodizing looks great!
Thanks for posting a pic.

Hi Ericson,

Thanks for the kind words. Performamce difference between the new and ols versions are almost non distinguishable. The new version has some tightened up geometry but the basic feel is identical. If you ever wanted to switch to a Mach V you would need a new plate or I could retro fit your old one (easier to just get a new one).
However, the new ones aren't polished like the old ones, they are orbital sanded down to 180 grit which seems to be a good industrial finish that disguises scratches well and provides a nice even satin finish. Going after that high glamour jewelery look is a little time intensive and impractical for a piece of dive gear that's meant to be used and abused. I would have to charge a small fortune now to polish each and every plate. It's quite a process, but I agree, it sure does look nice.

Hey I'll take you and Tao up on that photo session. We'll plan a trip to Breakwater or somewhere.

Take care

Lemme know when you're free to hit up Monterey. I'm free most Saturdays. Tao and I both have videos of each other diving the Freedom plates. Here's one that I shot on Saturday:

YouTube - Tao & a monster lingcod at Gerstle Cove Marine Reserve

-eR

Wow, it is some serious scuba diving style we are seeing here. You guys should team up and make anodized freedom plate.

I've been using one of the alu plates. Just swapped a Zeagle 34lb wing out for an Oxy MachV 18lb. Awesome setup for travelling and warm water.

The raw alu wasn't liking the seawater so much, so I pollished it up and anodized it when I did up a bunch of bike parts. Turned out good. :)

scuba-pimped-bpw.jpg

is the wing just held on by the cam bands pulling the tank tight against it? Any way to have the wing stay in place while swapping tanks?

is the wing just held on by the cam bands pulling the tank tight against it? Any way to have the wing stay in place while swapping tanks?

I've thought about a way to fasten the wing to the plate for easier assembly, but the new Mach V has those roll control cushions and they seem to grip the cam bands pretty well making assemby fairly easy. Once you get the hang of setting up the rig it goes pretty easy. I think leaving it so that the wing has infinite adjustability is worth more than pegging the wing in one spot that you're stuck with. The whole idea of the new design is adjustability and versitility. Everybody that uses the plate agrees that setting it up is no big deal, it just takes a few times to get the hang of it. Fastening the wing to the plate IMO is unnecessary.

Any chance of another run of aluminum plates? If so, do you recall the approximate weight of them?

I currently use a DSS kydex plate but am looking for something more compact and hopefully lighter. I'm considering the OxyCheq Ultralite BP, but I'm thinking your metal plate will be more durable over time compared to the OxyCheq one.

Any chance of another run of aluminum plates? If so, do you recall the approximate weight of them?

I currently use a DSS kydex plate but am looking for something more compact and hopefully lighter. I'm considering the OxyCheq Ultralite BP, but I'm thinking your metal plate will be more durable over time compared to the OxyCheq one.

If demand is high enough I will do another run of aluminum plates. They were under 2 lbs. but with a rail they would be just over 2 lbs.
The Oxycheq travel plate isn't bad. I've heard that people really like it.
I've never seen one in person. Maybe somebody who has one can post up and let us know how it's surviving the test of time.

I have one of the "older" Freedom Plates made out of Stainless Steel, as well as an Oxycheq Ultralite Plate - so here are a couple of my observations:

After playing with my Freedom Plate and finding the "sweet spot" for the wing, I decided to attach the plate and wing together, making it a little easier when changing tanks on a moving boat. I marked the plate using the grommet hole on the wing and drilled the plate to accept a "sex bolt". It works great, but drilling the SS is something that takes the right tools and some work afterward to clean up the sharp edges. Now, I only use this plate with a 30# Mach V wing - if I were to use it with my 18# Mach V, I don't know if it would be located properly. One thing to note - the Freedom Plate is short, so you can only put one "sex bolt" in it, at the top. This is my set-up when needing 12# to 20# of weight (above that, it is time for SS Plate and STA).

The Oxycheq Ultralite Plate works great with my 18# Mach V wing. It is almost like diving without a wing - using an old fashioned harness. This is a great setup for tropical diving when you are wearing less than a 3 mm wetsuit (I usually use it when I can dive with just a skin or TriLam) and needing less than 12# of weight. Now, this rig only floats you with your head out of the water, so it can be somewhat uncomfortable when boat diving in rougher seas - but it is fantastic for shore diving. Having a snorkel with you when diving this setup is a good idea.

I don't use a weight belt with either rig - using XS Scuba weight pockets on the cam-bands and waist-bands - since I am somewhat "pear shaped" and hate having my weight belt hanging from the crotch strap :D:D:D

Hope my observations help.

Dive Safely

Another way to attach the wing to the plate for convenience when swapping out tanks is to run a zip tie through the plate slots and wing slots and tuck the lock somewhere where it won't interfere with anything.
I just hate to start drilling holes in the plates to tell people "This is where the wing needs to be". People have so many different ideas about where the wing needs to be I figured I would leave it up to them even if it means taking a little away from convenience. Besides, there are so many different wings out there that can be used with the Freedom Plate, how could I know where all the holes would need to be? If I did that the thing would look like a piece of swiss cheese.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom