New/First Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaywardB

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Getting ready to head down to Mexico for an extended stay. I have mask, fins, computer, and was looking to pick up a bcd and regulator. Do I need to purchase my gauges and octo at the same time? Can I use a Cressi gauge with a Scubapro reg? I'm seriously considering the Scubapro Seahawk 2 with mk11/C370 reg. Opinions? Advice? Thanks. New here and fairly new to diving but got about 50 dives in in the Philippines last year and I plan on doubling that this year between Mexico and Honduras. Just under 75 dives total currently.

Gauges and regs don't need to match. Be a bit more careful with the Octo as the 1st intermediate pressures can vary between regulator designs and increase with depth. It's not a huge deal, especially with shallow dives. Consider a wrist mount computer, much easier to manage and much lighter than a console. Get air pressure transmitter, or get and Spg, or get both. Wrist mount compass is much better than console, if you need one. Every wrist mount computer I've seen has a compass function. It can be annoying having to cycle menus to check your bearing, so a wrist mount compass still has utility if that is your requirement.

Can't comment on SP regs, never had one, but the difference between all the regs I have owned and used is pretty marginal. If you aren't a discerning regulator shopper with obscure requirements, shop for the best deal and always consider the level of local support.

Scubapro makes some great equipment and the SeaHawk2 with mk11/c370 is a good choice. You can use any octopus or gauges with your regulator but you might want to stick with Scubapro for the octo for ease of service but they are pretty much all compatible with very few exceptions. Cressi also makes some great equipment, both companies have been around for a long time now and you should have no problem finding service pretty much anywhere in the world.

I’ll strongly suggest you get the same octo as your primary. When you need it it’s one less thing to worry about

The R195 has a Venturi assist which will let it be tuned for better breathing without free flowing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom