Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wonder__Frog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey guys,

Looking at getting some new tec-style fins but getting a little lost in the millions of threads that exist (which inevitably contain one person saying "RK3 HD are too flexible they're ****" followed by someone else saying "RK3 HD are perfect").

Genuinely open to suggestions but my main criteria are:
- Need to be able to backfin efficiently
- Need to operate in current when required
- Can't be too negatively buoyant as I've got heavy heavy legs
- Sprung heel
- Ideally suitable for use in both my wet & dry boots...

Thoughts appreciated!

What drysuit boot are you using.

I use Cressi Reaction fins with my wetsuit and drysuit and I can back kick with them without problem....I also use the same size Cressi Frogs with both setups as well....the frogs are stiff and heavy if you need those features.

-Z

As I don't have much experience with different types of fins, I can only recommend the Hollis F1's. Yes they are negatively buoyant (about 3 lbs) but for all other features you're looking for, they fit perfectly. Lots of people use them with drysuits, too, because of their weight. They will work your legs at first, though. Long, stiff, and ready for action. Wait....I see that remark going WAY of the rails so maybe I should retract it.........nah!

I am a new diver, and dont have any experience with dry suits, but i hear the Sherwood Fusions are good, and they are on closeout sale right now on leisurepro

I really like my RK3 fins. Not the hd version, I found those a bit to negative for me even with a drys suit. I use them with both my wet suit 6mm boots and my dry suit evo4 boots. No complaints.

Frog, you might encounter the same experience I’ve had....trial and error.

I did some research and bought some SP fins thinking I had made an informed decision. They’re great fins but they’re like track shoes with a limited application.

Six months later my needs changed so I did more research and bought a different brand and type of fin. They’re also great but now that my finning technique has matured, I’ve started hitting the limit of that fin.

You may anticipate a pattern developing....

I’m now about to try out my third set of fins. The foot pocket is a little larger but that’s good....now I can pick some hard sole booties that will allow me a steadier step during rough shore entries and exits.

You may have to undertake a trial and error approach in spite of good research.

SCUBA diving is an activity where one’s wallet suffers periodic groin injuries.

Hey guys,

Looking at getting some new tec-style fins but getting a little lost in the millions of threads that exist (which inevitably contain one person saying "RK3 HD are too flexible they're ****" followed by someone else saying "RK3 HD are perfect").

Genuinely open to suggestions but my main criteria are:
- Need to be able to backfin efficiently
- Need to operate in current when required
- Can't be too negatively buoyant as I've got heavy heavy legs
- Sprung heel
- Ideally suitable for use in both my wet & dry boots...

Thoughts appreciated!

DR XTs.

I've used countless fins and finally settled in these for wetsuit diving. IMO they check everything on your list. If something happened to them I'd buy again in a heart beat.

DR XTs.

I've used countless fins and finally settled in these for wetsuit diving. IMO they check everything on your list. If something happened to them I'd buy again in a heart beat.

Frog, I’m going to make like Diana Ross and second that emotion.

I only have two dives on my new DR XTs but I am super impressed with the propulsion while driving four AL80s (BM + left and right deco). Where my Zeagle Recon fins reach the limit of their snap under load, the XTs are right there with me all the way through my heels coming together (frog kick).

But, as scubadada said, it’s a personal choice.

Zef’s choice (Cressi Frog) interests me. If you haven’t pulled the trigger yet, I’d take a look at those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom