New fins came with narrow tubular nylon - What's it for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CDMac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just received a pair of Large Eddy fins and there were 2 - 1"x 12" lengths of tubular nylon in the box (inside their own small plastic bag).
  • I'm assuming this is/can be used to cover the springs on the heel straps (if desired) but wanted to confirm.
  • Anyone else receive the tubular nylon and know what its intended use is ?
  • Is it purely aesthetic or is there a technical reason why you would want to cover the springs (assuming this is indeed the intended use) ?

It’s to keep cave line from tangling in spring. If you are just doing open water I wouldn’t use it. Easier to rinse.
Perfect... Thanks for the prompt reply and confirmation of my assumption.

@CDMac It is a replacement option for the pull tabs on the heels. You either use one or the other. I personally prefer the webbing for all styles of diving now.

Serves several purposes. Keeps your fingers from getting pinched, cave line entanglement, etc.

It really is personal choice.

Thanks, @LandonL - I was supposed to dive today but if you look out your window (if you're in Florida right now), you'll know why we scrubbed the dives for today and booked Saturday and Sunday instead.
I may go with the pull tabs Saturday and switch to the webbing for Sunday to see which I prefer

@CDMac Yeah, I live in Fort Lauderdale as well, off Sunrise. The weather hasn't been great, plus the jets have been blasting by overhead most of the day.

yeah, I knew YOU lived in FLL

I was sideways talking to those suckers who don't :p and wasn't sure if you were here or traveling.

I'm right off Sunrise too (Sunrise Harbor Apts) and got some nice video of the Blue Angels doing their dress rehearsal run for the air show this weekend from our pool area.

I'll be getting my OW cert Sat morn and then again Sun afternoon for final checkout dives otherwise I'd be checking out the airshow. I was so jacked up yesterday with the birds blasting past the building.

Sounds like you weren't quite as excited as I was to have them buzzing around all day.

For those that may want to see what we're talking about...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom