New fin recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do not need new fins to replace the Sea Wing Novas for the diving that you describe. Quattros would be slightly more negative, if you just want new fins. N

I had the same problem with my sherwood tritons. They are a great fin, but floaty. I have use the apeks rk3s, and liked them, but i settled on the deep 6 edsys because they are more neutral in the water

I decided to get the Mares Avanti Quattro Pros. They're neutrally buoyant - and actually about a half inch longer than my Novas. I put them in the tub and they did not float. My Novas floated - when I added the 5mil boots they really floated. I don't want to change too much in one shot, so if I find my feet are still too floaty my next step will be to switch out my boots. For reference, here's is a video showing what my Novas with boots do in the fresh water of my wash tub. It's only about 2 feet of water, but they pop right up. After seeing the boots/fins float like that I felt like I had a better understanding as to why my feet want to rise above my head on a safety stop - especially in churned up water.

I'll get to test them out in a little over two weeks in Cozumel. :cool:

Because I'm short (5' 1") I've always had my tank low so my head doesn't bump into the first stage. My top cam band is generally as high as it can get without slipping off. Sometimes it's a close call, making my buddy uncomfortable, but if it rides higher my head bumps.
This can contribute to your issue if you are using a standard aluminum cylinder which is most rentals. A standard aluminum cylinder will get light in in the bottom as air is used up so by moving it down it's going to want to float your feet. If you are good of air try a 63 instead on an 80 which my fit you better and not have it so low. Also good choice on the fins the Avanti's are my favorite fin and what I use. I have the Nova's among others and always come back to the Avanti's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom