New fin advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Floyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought a set of fins when I first did my OW (shop had us buy fins, mask and a snorkel). At the time didn’t know what I really wanted. The fins I have are fine but don’t fit on a dry suit boot. They also have all plastic parts and I have already had the strap come loose because the little plastic clips come undo...not a big deal to fix as I noticed it before the fin came off completely but still pretty annoying. I have been using a spare set that one of the DMs at the new shop I go to let me borrow but I’m going to take a trip to the east coast next month and feel like I need to get my own fins for dry suit diving.

I wear a size 14 US

I have been looking at the Apeks RK3 HD

Thoughts? Advice?

I just bought a pair of RK3’s recently. I like them. I wear size 13W. My XL size fins work well with 3mm and 5mm boots

While I like my RK3 fins, they weren’t as rigid as I was expecting (which you’d get with the HD).

What sort of kicks do you do? What sort of kick do you plan to use in the future? I have size 15 feet and I have tried a lot of fins and mostly frog kick in cold water, Deep 6 XL Eddy’s are my most used cold water fins but you may need to change the spring straps to get them to fit your boots, I’m using the springs from xxl Hollis F1’s on one pair and home made bungee on another pair.

If you do mostly flutter kicks Sherwood Triton or SP Seawing Nova are hard to beat.

What sort of kicks do you do? What sort of kick do you plan to use in the future? I have size 15 feet and I have tried a lot of fins and mostly frog kick in cold water, Deep 6 XL Eddy’s are my most used cold water fins but you may need to change the spring straps to get them to fit your boots, I’m using the springs from xxl Hollis F1’s on one pair and home made bungee on another pair.

If you do mostly flutter kicks Sherwood Triton or SP Seawing Nova are hard to beat.
I mostly flutter but I’m working learning to frog. I have the forward frog down pretty good but haven’t gotten the reverse to work yet. All my cold water diving locally is in super slitted lakes so the frog is a must.

I mostly flutter but I’m working learning to frog. I have the forward frog down pretty good but haven’t gotten the reverse to work yet. All my cold water diving locally is in super slitted lakes so the frog is a must.
I have heavy legs so I prefer the Eddy’s, if you have floaty feet you may want to look at F1’s, either will make you get good with frog kicks or end up with speed skater thighs if you continue with flutter.

I've never heard of anyone liking the apex fins, so this thread is a first for me. if you like that style, the Eddy fins or jets are probably the way to go. I think the Hollis F1s come in big sizes, and they are a fast, capable fin. I dive the diverites, and having tried several others I feel like I'm stuck with these. Other fins lose points for me for weight (heavy for luggage and trim in the water - Hollis F1 and jets), or are too slow by comparison comparison (Eddys). I don't love how long the diverites are, or how they look, but they travel well and in the water I am nimble and quick. Ultimately, don't worry too much, as if you like diving you will probably end up with several different sets over the years and only then will you find the fins you're "stuck with."

good luck, and happy safe diving.

When I last bought ScubaPro Jet Fins, they had a lifetime warranty. I was going to point this out as a selling point for Jet Fins, but then I thought I would look it up as to the warranty if you bought them TODAY. Surprise, surprise, surprise, it looks like the warranty is now 1 year. Is this correct, 1 year warranty?

Thanks!

I've never heard of anyone liking the apex fins, so this thread is a first for me. if you like that style, the Eddy fins or jets are probably the way to go.

If one of my previous fins hadn’t broken while on vacation (I needed a set that day for dives the following day)...I would have ordered a pair of Deep 6 Eddy fins.

That being said...I am happy with what I ended up with.

Back
Top Bottom