New face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Bobbyo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Was shopping around in our local dive shop the other day. Just happened to notice that of all the mask on display, none had purge valves in them. Just curious, do they not make them with purge valves anymore, if so why?
Also, checked out the bi-focal mask. Anyone that owns one have any comments on them??
Thanks!

I have a DiveRite low volume mask with bifocal gauge reader lenses as my backup mask and it works well.

Purge valves are a fad that go in cycles. Probably 20 year cycles? The last cycle didn't last long.

Wow,,,,,what's the problem with them??

They're largely unnecessary, since you can blow through your nose to purge the mask, via the skirt; are a site for additional leakage and wear; and are, frankly, more costly to produce . . .

No opinion on purge masks, but I've got two masks with readers.

1st is a Sherwood Oracle+. It's been a great mask, but only so-so for the readers. Because the lenses come down to a point, I had to look through one eye only to see my watch/gauges.

I just recently picked up a Genesis Occulus which has wider/angled readers. I've only had it on two dives, but I think I like it better,

We had students that had a real problem with tilting their head back to clear a mask. We tried the side tilt to help them out but found that they just had an easier time looking down and clearing with a purge valve mask. If they are more comfortable doing that then more power to them. Allot of safety is directly related to how comfortable someone is so the for those people that found it easier to use a purge mask, go for it.

I found that the purge valve masks tended to be higher volume and you could develop a leak at the purge valve if sand or some other trash got caught in it. It is a moving part and moving parts can wear out. I prefer a low volume non purge mask in black to reduce glare on the inside of the mask.

Sommap of France still produces "classic" as well as modern masks. Two models in their "classic" range come with purge valves:

SUPERVISIOMER
visiomersoup.jpg

Black rubber - Tempered lens - Compensator - Inox Frame - Discharge valve

PANAMA

panama1036.jpg

Black rubber - Tempered lens - Compensator - Discharge valve
Classic masks - SOMMAP Aquatic Sports Diving masks - SOMMAP

Current Taiwan OEM mask designs with purge valves:
Aropec M1-U25R-PG-ST
upload_2020-6-11_16-26-12.png

Exquis 6303
upload_2020-6-11_16-27-16.png