New exhaust valve leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tye1138

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Howdy. So I have a 2013 ish purchased Seasoft XV-4 drysuit that developed a leak in the right wrist area. It started very small, just a bit of dampness, but then got worse and worse over time. I had stopped diving for a few years and when I took it out to continue diving, did several leak tests, no problems found. However, when diving it was clear the valve leaked like a siv.

After taking apart the valve many times and realizing it was probably just the rubber bits worn out, I replaced it with a new valve, which is a SiTech, just like the original. We sealed it with aquaseal, so it wouldn't be any issue with the mating of the valve on the suit. New valve? Leaks just like the old one.

So how do I know it's the valve? Simple, if you don't touch the valve at all during the dive and keep it totally shut, the water ingress is manageable. The moment you push the valve to let the air out when going back up, the water flows in like someone has just cut a hole in the suit. The moment you let go of the valve, it stops. Also, when you pull the protective cap off from the inside of the valve, the whole assembly is soaking wet on the inside, the outside is not wet at all. So it's leaking out the port area and into the membrane then into my underwear and its cold!

I've torn the new valve apart, every sealing surface seems totally fine. My boyfriend has the same suit, same valve, works fine. I've taken it apart, the both look identical. So I'm totally stumped, which is why I'm posting on here!

Leak tests show nothing, zero.

Any ideas?

Would the dump valve happen to be an Apeks low profile model?

If you've identical suits, swap the valves over and let him find out what wet's like.

If the wet doesn't move, it's your suit, not the valve.

If you've identical suits, swap the valves over and let him find out what wet's like.

If the wet doesn't move, it's your suit, not the valve.

Yep! Thought about that one, but his valve is so glued in place, it would probably damage something taking it out. Since his suit works and doesn't leak, I was hoping that I wouldn't make two bad suits by messing with it.

check the spring tension and sealing surface also.

Yep, tension is good, I even set it a bit tighter than normal.

The entire inside surface where it mates with the suit is sealed with aquaseal.

Only thing I can think of, is the small gap between the valve assembly and the threaded portion is leaking? But it's a press fit and the water is clearly coming from the rubber membrane valve. So confused.

Attachments

• IMG_9856.jpeg
    IMG_9856.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 70

Back
Top Bottom