New Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackson07

Registered
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

My team is looking to purchase 6 new complete sets of dive equipment? Does anyone have a list or proposal for new equipment already put together? We are talking FFMs, drysuits, fins, regulators, BCDs, hoses, etc. The works.

Thank you!

I just upgraded most of our teams equipment a couple years ago this is what I put together...

Aga full face mask
Mares neoprene hoods ( slowly swapping out for latex hoods on the drysuits)
Scubamax frameless mask as a backup
Scuba pro mk17 first stage, with drysuits, bcd inflator Hose and basic spg.
100 cf tank
19 cf pony with Sherwood bruts as regs with button gauges.
Rubber necklace.
Hollis enviro pro bcds
OS systems drysuits
Life guard systems harness and weight harness system
Scuba pro jet fins.

Hope this helps

Give Reese a call at Bermuda Triangle, great pricing and has sold to numerous teams.

Bermuda Triangle, Greenville, SC - Let's Go Diving!
864-286-3483

OTS Guardian FFM
Oxycheq Mach V Wing w/ Harness, Backplate
30cf Pony bottle w/ stage rigging & reg
Backup mask
Viking drysuit or Whites
ScubaPro Jet Fins

jackson07, as Team Leader for 3 Public Safety Dive Teams, and a member and training coordinator for 6 other teams, I get asked all the time, what gear should we use. The magical set of equipment that teams seek does not exist. However I will give you some insight to how teams in our area decide on what to buy. Then I will list 3 of my rigs, all used for specific purposes during Public Safety Diving.

First, budget plays a big role in purchasing, regardless of whether the department buys the equipment or the individual team member. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) can not be stressed enough. according to you profile, you hold quite a few certifications, but the question remains, do other team members have the experience that you do, the more equipment to add to a diver, the more you hinder him if he is not comfortable in the water. Some times teams get to worried on equipment and not the proper training. Next is deciding on does your team need to be unified. According to your post, yes, you state you need 6 complete sets (assumption being made you want them all the same). Next does you team have a service technician, if not, what shops are close that can service your gear, when needed. Lastly, the place of purchase needs to be informed of what Public Safety Diving is all about. Otherwise, trying to sell gear to a Public Safety Diver, with out knowledge of what Public Safety Diving is all about, is like a shoe salesman trying to sell auto parts to a mechanic.

Just some things to think about.

Now for my 3 rigs that I wear, depending on what team I am diving for.
Rig #1 is my Fire Department Rig
Rig #2 is my Law Enforcement Rig
Rig #3 is my Ice Diving Rig (Both Law and Fire)

Minor differences, BCD change here or there, and different accessories.
And to answer questions in advanced, most of our teams supply their own gear, training though is key into understanding each team member's gear.
Ideally you want to be unified, realistically, doesn't happen with volunteer teams.

Rig #1

Custom OS Systems Telus Safety Orange Dry Suit
Custom Polar Fleece Single Layer / Double Layer Undergarments
Mares Power Plana Fins
Custom OS Systems Hood
Standard Aluminum 80 CF Tank
Standard Aluminum 30 CF Pony
Life Guard Systems PSD BCD
Mares Abyss Navy First Stage
Mares MV Alternate, Stowed Away
Sherwood Brut First Stage (Pony Bottle)
Sherwood Magnum (When Back Mounted Pony) / (Reversed Minumus Second Stage, when slinging the pony)
Mares 3 Gauge Console (Simple Recovery) / Mares Puck Air with compass (Crime Scene Documentation)
Ocean Reef Iron Mask Full Face Mask
Ocean Reef Comm Unit
2 Aquatec Mask Mount Head Lights (Mounted to Full Face Mask)
Intova Nova Cam (For documentation of Under Water Crime Scenes, Mounted to Full Face Mask)
Sea Soft Kevlar 3mm / 5mm Gloves (With Medical Gloves underneath)
DUI Weight Harness System
Life Guard Systems PSD Tender Harness
Spare Mares Liquid Skin X Vision Mask (Thigh Pocket)
DSMB and Reel (Thigh Pocket)
Crime Scene Slate (Right Shoulder Pocket)

Rig #2

Mares Power Plana Fins
Custom OS Systems Hood
OMS 94# Red Wing Single Bladder
Sherwood Magnum (When Back Mounted Pony) / (Reversed Minumus Second Stage, when slinging the pony)
Mares 3 Gauge Console (Simple Recovery) / Mares Puck Air with compass (Crime Scene Documentation)
Ocean Reef Comm Unit
Intova Nova Cam (For documentation of Under Water Crime Scenes, Mounted to Full Face Mask)
Sea Soft Kevlar 3mm / 5mm Gloves (With Medical Gloves underneath)

Rig #3

Mares Power Plana Fins
Custom OS Systems Hood
OMS 94# Red Wing Single Bladder
Ocean Reef Comm Unit
Water Proof 7mm 3 Finger Diving Mitts (With Medical Gloves underneath)

Last piece of equipment of course is my super cool custom built badge, that attracts all the ladies, and makes all other divers jealous.
Picture1.png

Ok, so maybe its not that cool, but it does attract a lot of attention. Hope this helps and if you have any questions please feel free to message me. Public Safety Diving is very big in our area, in 2014, we had 7 body recoveries, 1 being a murder, and countless evidence recoveries. Since January 1st, 2015 we have been utilized 5 times, for multiple vehicles in the water, and 1 was during a bad snow storm, and we had an overturned vehicle in the water, with 2 entrapped.

Here is a short video from a suicide attempt on July 4th, of 2014.

[video=youtube;VrYBY9OXHOU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrYBY9OXHOU[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom