New England Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KTA

Registered
Reaction score
I've just started my scuba diving class and am really excited to become certified. I live in New Hampshire, so i was wondering if there were any good places to dive in the New England area.

For fresh water diving Lake Winepinoke (sp?) has some very cool sites. There are wrecks down there as well as a "wall". Lots of marine life and so may fresh water muscles just waiting to be harvested.

I also have it on good authority that if you go over to Massachusettes (sp?) Cape Ann has good diving and lobsters to thrill any bug hunter.

SpyderTek

wow., lake winneposaki (sp?) is about a mile from my house. I had no idea there was anything cool down there. Ill have to check it out after i finish the course and get all the gear.

when i said "mile" ... . . i meant "hour"

Congrats on your decision to get certified.New England has many different sites for the beginner to the biggest tekkie.Check with any LDS that you plan on visiting to get the low down on the local sites.Some LDS not only offer local conditions and advise of the best sites they also offer shuttle service(Some towns parking is near to impossible) and guided tours upon request.Dive New England.com has a searchable dive site program.

Hi KTA, welcome to the world of SCUBA.

I don’t know where your coming from in NH, but I live in MA and I’m also about an hour from Lake Winnipesaukee and yes this is the right spelling. Lake Winnipesaukee has a sunken ship called Lady Of The Lake. It’s in a small cove and the depths are shallow, it’s a nice dive. Nubble Light in York Maine my also be an easy trip for you depending on where your coming from. Depths are from 20 fsw to 80 fsw. Lots of marine life, rocks and vegetation to see and you don’t need a boat, it’s a shore dive. As mentioned above Cape Ann also has great diving, from both shore and boat.

Dive Safe ……………….. Arduous

KTA, we live in a great place with lots of choices for diving. That's the good news, the bad news is most of them are colder than you can imagine, visibility sux and there's not much to see. Other than that it's great. Only kidding.

You'll get introduced to the Nubble first (great site but very cold water), then Fort Foster (warmer water but not very deep) both in Southern Maine. After you finish your out dives get down to Cape Ann in Mass. Best variety and there will always be a lea side of the island to dive (not always true in Maine). That's the good news, the bad news is the parking Nazi's that inhabit Cape Ann, sometimes a parking ticket is the price we pay.

As far as the lakes are concerned they are easy and generally warmer. There's not much to see and you have to be careful which lake you choice, avoid tea lakes (water the color of tea = no visibility), watch the thermoclines (gets very cold the deeper you go), and watch the boat traffic (fresh water sailors do not have a clue about dive flags).

Best of luck and don't be in to much of hurry to buy equipment. Rent before you buy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom