New Drysuit -- need orientation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChillyWaters

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, me and my buddy got our new drysuits, however we have yet to try them out.

We are looking for someone to have an easy dive with us and show us the ropes. Anybody interested (Saturday or Sunday)?

We got the suits last Saturday and had an instructor friend who was going to give us an orientation. However, when we got to the water, we discovered the wind was a little too much. Our schedules just haven't meshed since. So, if you'd like enjoy an easy dive and show us a few things, it would be greatly appreciated.

- ChillyWaters

What suit did you end up getting?

I was planning on making a thread like this because I just bought a drysuit today.
I'm available all day on Monday and Tuesday and anytime in the afternoon for the rest of the week.

SeanQ:
What suit did you end up getting?

I ended up getting a deal on a White's Polarflex package.

Now if I could just get a job to pay it off...

Oh yeah, and now I'm really considering that move to Australia... isn't timing everything. Do you think I'd look odd diving a drysuit off the coast of Sydney?

SeanQ:
I was planning on making a thread like this because I just bought a drysuit today.
I'm available all day on Monday and Tuesday and anytime in the afternoon for the rest of the week.

I'll leave the thread open for 'ya then. The instructor originally going to take us out has agreed on a date/time, so I'm no longer in need of help.

I sure hope this'll be a fun-filled summer of diving... I can't wait.

What drysuit did you get?

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
Oh yeah, and now I'm really considering that move to Australia... isn't timing everything. Do you think I'd look odd diving a drysuit off the coast of Sydney?

- ChillyWaters

Maybe, but I dove with a guy in Maui who was wearing a dry suit! ...a shell, but still!!! I was wearing a 3mm full and was plenty warm enough

If you're doing many dives in one day you may want the drysuit to stay warm. I think it's a luxury there as opposed to a necessity in BC.

I bought a Bare Nex-gen.

ChillyWaters:
Not at all. Lots of people dive dry in Sydney during the winter, although most of the drysuits are neoprene. I rent a drysuit when I dive there in the winter. The alternative is a 5 mm full wetsuit with a 5 mm vest, which can be pretty cold.

SeanQ:
If you're doing many dives in one day you may want the drysuit to stay warm. I think it's a luxury there as opposed to a necessity in BC.

I bought a Bare Nex-gen.

Good luck with your suit. I had a few troubles my first time out. First, I went out over-weighted -- I strapped on some extra weight, and I didn't do a weight check until afterwards.

Also, I had an ankle weight around the top of my tank. That only helped tilt me a little more in the water. Arrgggh... I had some floaty feet issues as a result. I also didn't tie up my ankle straps very tight (oops). Anyways, I was then given some ankle weights, which caused me to be even more overweighted, but did level me out.

Next time I'll be a lot lighter, and may start with ankle weights for a few dives until I get used to things. The wetsuit definitely was an easier dive though.

Let me just say: The damn thing was warm!

My buddy was in a Nexus and was warm with the underwear that came with her suit. No problems at all for the hour we were in the 42F water. I wore the heavier john that came with the suit, along with shorts and a t-shirt, and I was warm as well. Once I'm not over-weighted, I'm gonna love it. I think I'll only need about 2-4lbs more than my wetsuit.

- ChillyWaters

Thanks salty for being patient and helpful on my first drysuit dive. I owe you one buddy.

Back
Top Bottom