New Drysuit Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pbgormley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I just bought myself a nice new drysuit :D and was really just looking for some advice/tips etc on keeping care of it, ie cleaning & storage methods, should it be packed in its original bag or hung up after dives (obviously after it has dried out :wink: ) how to keep the seals in good condition, cleaning the zipper etc, anything really.

Cheers :wink:

Thank you TeddyDiver

After it has dried, should i pack it or leave it hanging up ?

Do not use Baby Powder. That stuff usually has oils and scents in it which will degrade your seals over time. Get pure Talc if you can, pool stores have it by the way.

Finding unscented unoiled Baby Powder is quite tough, no store around me sells it.

pbgormley:
After it has dried, should i pack it or leave it hanging up ?

Either is fine so long as it is totally dry and you do not put unnecessary stresss on the zipper. I hang mine with on a dry suit hangar, leaving the waterproof zipper open (keeping it zipped reduces the life), but zipping the outer zipper most of the way to take stress off of the end of the main zipper. That way I am assured it continues to ventilate and is dry, not moldy, next time I dive. (Oh, except for the time I inadvertenly got some water in the feet when rinsing it and didn't notice it when I hung it. It was a bit of surprise when I donned it and soaked my feet! Fortunately at home when fitting a new harness! :D )

Welcome to the warm world.

I do the hanger bit too, put in a small block at the bottom for the feet to rest on, minimizes stress on anything while being high enough to keep the inside open.

Why talc the suit for storage? I thought that was a lubricating thing for donning and doffing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom