New divers who wear glasses may find this video helpful

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In my pouch, every item in there, including zip-ties, are attached to a bolt-snap. That way it's almost impossible for anything to fall out accidentally. In my main pouch, I typically have a small scuba-tool, zip-ties, DSMB, line-spool, flashlight, and depending on the situation, and depending on the situation 1-2 more items. It's especially easy to accidentally lose or drop something if it's dark or murky, which is usually is where I dive.

Attaching a swivel-bolt-snap to any cord can be done the same way, as he attaches the yellow dry-container in the video.

Any thoughts on using contact lenses while diving? My eyesight isn't too terrible (-1.75), but I wasn't sure if it was a big no-no.

Any thoughts on using contact lenses while diving? My eyesight isn't too terrible (-1.75), but I wasn't sure if it was a big no-no.
Lots of people wear contacts while diving. Just shut your eyes if you mask gets kicked off.

I wear contacts while diving. I have lost contacts twice in about 200 dives. A mask that fits your face well (avoid water in the mask) and closing your eyes in case of a flood or mask loss helps. You can also buy a number of masks, with prescription lenses, although they usually don't correct for astigmatism.

All very interesting, but of what real utility (need)?

I do understand that you’re a -6, but even at that extreme, what use is a pair of glasses being brought along on your dive?

The statement at the very end…about safely securing your glasses, the best place is easily argued as: the boat.

[from your video, you look too young to have enjoyed a “Hydro-Optix” wide view mask. Worked best for -6 types. Go find one on eBay, you will be in love. It features a 180 view with no distortion…that, and a ridiculously limited market]

If you lose your corrective mask, why not put up a simple video about the utility of a mask lanyard clipped to a neck ring? Works every time, never fails.

Utility/Need? So if i do lose my -6 mask, I am going to retrieve my eyeglasses as I am bobbing on the surface….to accomplish what, exactly? I don‘t need to see the boat. They need to see me.

Always interesting videos, but here’s a solution in search of a problem. Consider that simple mask lanyard, a $1 fix to losing a $250 prescription mask.

what use is a pair of glasses being brought along on your dive
We dive from shore, drift dives...
I need my glasses at the other end...
I use a old flashlight case, (its quite a unique old flashlight)
With holes drill into it so it takes no pressure. Sits on my waist harness where a canister light gets mounted.... don't get scratched, and always with me...
In a boat usually they go in the glovebox.

Reactions: Doc
There is no cure for stupid. I was on a dive boat in Roatan. I was drying out during the SI and I had put my $250 pair of prescription glasses back on because the world is a blur without them. Then I leaned over the side of the boat to blow out my sinuses, and that's when I donated my glasses to the gods of the deep. Fortunately I had a pair of readers in my room, but I hated to lose those glasses. Now I wear the readers on the boat and leave my prescription glasses in my room.

I used to dive with contacts and a standard mask. I much, much prefer using a prescription mask. Contacts get uncomfortable after contact with salt water and if you lose the mask you have to close your eyes.

I just put my glasses in the mask case before I get off the boat, can’t see any reason you’d want to take them with you in the water. I do have a pair or two of disposable contacts in my bag as well in case I lose the glasses.

Back
Top Bottom