New Divers Testing the Waters Here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buffalo Dave

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

The wife and I are pretty new divers, NAUI certified last May, and haven't logged much bottom time yet. Our open water cert was in 43 degrees F with 3 ft visibility and a surface temp of 34F - so I think we're prepared for just about anything. But we did dive Key West a few months ago.

Just checking in with what seems to be a great forum. Actually we became members of two unique social groups last year - we became divers and boaters. I must say that no matter where you go, boaters and divers are just awesome groups of people as a rule, ESPECIALLY divers. Always willing to help novices like us and offer advice and always down to earth.

See everyone around the forum.

Dave (and Carol)

Welcome to Scubaboard. I have only been here for a few months and have gained tons of information and have met lots of great divers.

Doing your open water in cold low vis conditions will only make you better divers!!

So.... what kind a boat do you have?

21.5 ft Four Winns w/ cuddy. Still small enough to trailer.

We haven't dived (dove?) off her yet but plan to. There's some exciting drift diving in the upper Niagara River and we plan on doing a little this summer.

Welcome to the Boards!! And I thought out certification vis was bad at 6-8 ft!! It's a wonder you could find each other!! But I think Pez de Diablo is right - learning in rough conditions makes things easier when you dive where you can actually see.

And I agree with your opinion of divers - they seem to be the nicest, freindliest, easy-going people I have found so far - it was a big factor in finally getting certified last September - and in all my dives in blue water so far, the experienced divers have never treated me like an idiot rookie, but have been very helpful and supportive. Too bad other sports don't treat their rookies as nicely!!

welcome to scuba board !!!!
first I have to agree learning in less than perfect conditions will make you a better diver !!
second dive as oftain as you can and relax and enjoy the sport remember safty !!!!!!!!!

Hello Dave and Carol, i agree with the rest of the guys on the fact that there are tons of excellence information here for novice like us. I have learn a lot and actually benefited from all the topics which people have ask and answered.Hope that it will be the same for you too!!!

Happy Diving
Cheers

Hi Dave and Carol,

My wife and I got certified three weeks ago. Vis on day one was around 2-3 tops. Second day improved to around 6ft. Temp was around 45F but we did out Drysuit specialty as well and it was a good thing we did. Welcome to the boards and happy diving

Back
Top Bottom