New diver's ramp location at Lake Jocassee, reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
It's been awhile since I've been over to Lake Jocassee to do some diving. I've heard that they changed the location of the divers ramp to the area where the kayakers are located.

Have any of you dove at the new divers' ramp location and how do you like it compared to the old location for the diver's ramp?

I plan on getting over there again later this month to get in a dive, if the weather cooperates.
I'm in the Atlanta area.

Thanks!

I was there last Tuesday, before eye-surgery the following day as I'll be non-diving for a month. I've only been there a few times. There are some trees around 80'. Much better viz If you go left of the stairs. If you want to go to the forest straight off of the old dive-ramp, you'll have to surface swim to very close to the ramp (but still within divers boundary). The little bay between the new ramp and the old ramp is usually very clear with large bass. I would not go on a weekend. The park is packed to capacity by ten. The few times I've been there (on weekdays), I've parked about 20' (?) from the stairs. There's no shade in the parking lot, so bring shade if you can. I try to get there early to avoid the heat and afternoon thunder showers.

Thanks for the info.!

I did a solo dive back May 2011 at the old divers ramp in my dry suit. Got down to 65ft. It went good, but I should have had buddy with me since that was my first time diving there. That's the deepest I've dove so far.

Unfortunately, the only time I could get off work would be on a Sat. or Sun. to go there. We have a house in N. Ga. about 60 miles from there. Maybe my wife and I can drive over from there real early on a Sat. or Sun. morning and get a spot before it gets packed. She's not a diver.
I had cataract surgery last year on my right eye and it went well. Then, I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer earlier this year and they took out my thyroid and now I'm cancer free, Praise the LORD!

So, I want to get some diving in before cooler weather. I'm also overdue to get my Advanced Open Water. I was thinking about getting to do it in Sept. after Labor Day with Lake Jocassee Dive Shop.

Maybe we can hook up sometime to get some dives in over there. Hope and pray your eye surgery recovery continues to go well.

Thanks re surgery. The park opens @ 7 am. If you get there by 7:30 to 8:00/8:30 there usually won't be a line...plus, you'll beat the heat.

I'll do that. I can't stand to get caught in a crowded parking lot, especially when I want to get in to dive. Looking forward to getting over there in a few weeks.

We were at the Jetties in Panama City, Fla. last month and we got there later in the morning and the park rangers were turning people away because it was too crowded. Never seen that before. Signs of the times I guess.

Thanks again.

There are some trees around 80'. Much better viz If you go left of the stairs. If you want to go to the forest straight off of the old dive-ramp, you'll have to surface swim to very close to the ramp (but still within divers boundary). The little bay between the new ramp and the old ramp is usually very clear with large bass.

This makes the new area sound a bit more appealing than what I have heard so far. Will have to check it out soon, thanks for sharing your experiences.

From a long time user of Lake Jocassee, I can say with authority that the new area doesn't offer much. It has a mostly muddy bottom that silts out quickly. The place is over crowded by kayaks and the area for getting ready is good but out in the open. If you go off to the left of the stairs like divad said, out at the point it drops to 90 ft and some trees. You can still go to the old place but you need to tow a diver down float and stay 50' away from the ramp. We go down on the left side near the top, go across the rocks, and down the slope to the line that sits at 40' by the bones family.

Hey Art, long time, no see.
Are you parking at the old ramp?

Good to hear from you divad! Yes, we park at the old ramp. Got to be careful of people launching and recovering their boats but so far they have been few and far between. The old platforms are gone except the legs, Jocassee memorial garden (fake cemetery) is gone as well. The last time I was there I went straight out to the trees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom