New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrChen

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've lived around the beach all my life, been a competitive swimmer, love aquariums, and have always wanted to get into diving. So last year at the age of 38 I got my OW cert. I've always been an excellent swimmer and I've found the differences between diving and swimming to be interesting. My instructor had to tell me a couple of times, stop using your hands! :wink:

So I'm adjusting, but I love the underwater adventure. I'm not good with sea sickness and my first boat dive was in 4-6 ft seas. Safe to say, it was a rough trip, but the crew was awesome (thanks Capt Sl8tr and the Scuba Works team in Jupiter! Especially Donna and Jerry!). Without Donna, I don't know that I would have been able to get my gear on my second tank due to the seas. At gear up time, I felt like a race car with a crew as my BCD was being buckled on me, my weights were adjusted and being put back in my BCD, my fins were being put on my feet, my tanks were turned on, and my reg handed to me. Talk about first class service! I remember Donna asking, "Are you diving the 2nd dive?" My response was, "will get me off this boat?" The good news was, the 2nd dive was awesome and the sea sickness subsided seconds after hitting the water.

I've got all my gear now and will be doing my AOW next month.

I have a daughter with Cerebral Palsy, so long term I would like to get involved in some of the diving organizations which help the disabled experience diving. I know this is a ways off, but it's my long term goal to take my daughter diving.

I have attended several Dive Pirate fundraisers. It is an awesome organization that would get your daughter diving. Check into it!

Welcome, MrChen. I don't get seasick, but a lot of people use Bonine (Bonine® | Travel Well®) with success.

Welcome MrChen
I too suffer from terrible sea sickness. I usually gear up toward the back of the boat in the event I need to purge. Truth be told, I feel much better after I get sick, Ive learned not to fight it. Bonine never worked that well for me. At least for me, the sooner i get sick, the quicker ill feel better. I have even gotten sick underwater a couple of times (both times the surge was really powerful). I'm sure your instructor has already told you this, but your second stage is a wonderful piece of engineering ... keep your reg in your mouth, keep your reg in your mouth, keep your reg in your mouth. Chumming underwater tends to attract fish and make for good photo ops and even better stories.

As far as your daughter is concerned, I had the good fortune to dive with the people at Handicap Scuba Association at Cobalt Coast in Grand Cayman a few years ago. It seems like a great organization. There was at least one diver on the boat who had been living with CP.

I might also check out International Association for Handicapped Divers | Hero's | SCUBA

Welcome and happy diving

Welcome Mr. Chen - Glad to hear you were able to get through everything! I get seasick as well. My results with Bonine have been hit or miss as well. I actually prefer shore diving to boat diving now for a variety of reasons, one of which is definitely the seasickness factor. But, my major attraction to shore diving is I get to dive on my own schedule!

Welcome, MrChen. I don't get seasick, but a lot of people use Bonine (Bonine® | Travel Well®) with success.

My doctor gave me some patch to put behind my ear. I actually didn't vomit until someone gave me a ginger ale, promising it'll settle my stomach. HA!! lol I won't make that mistake twice. I will consume absolutely nothing. I won't let sea sickness stop me from getting out, I'll try my best to avoid the rough seas.

---------- Post added April 25th, 2013 at 03:03 PM ----------

Welcome! I second the Bonine suggestion! My girlfriend swears by the stuff!

I'll have to keep it in mind if my prescribed meds don't work my next time out. Maybe I'll take some bonine as a back up, unless it takes time to start working.

---------- Post added April 25th, 2013 at 03:04 PM ----------

Welcome MrChen
I too suffer from terrible sea sickness. I usually gear up toward the back of the boat in the event I need to purge. Truth be told, I feel much better after I get sick, Ive learned not to fight it. Bonine never worked that well for me. At least for me, the sooner i get sick, the quicker ill feel better. I have even gotten sick underwater a couple of times (both times the surge was really powerful). I'm sure your instructor has already told you this, but your second stage is a wonderful piece of engineering ... keep your reg in your mouth, keep your reg in your mouth, keep your reg in your mouth. Chumming underwater tends to attract fish and make for good photo ops and even better stories.

As far as your daughter is concerned, I had the good fortune to dive with the people at Handicap Scuba Association at Cobalt Coast in Grand Cayman a few years ago. It seems like a great organization. There was at least one diver on the boat who had been living with CP.

I might also check out International Association for Handicapped Divers | Hero's | SCUBA

Welcome and happy diving

Awesome, thanks for the links.

---------- Post added April 25th, 2013 at 03:05 PM ----------

Thank you for welcoming to the board guys.

It does take some time. It is not something that you take once you start getting seasick.

In fact, it is recommended that you take it the day before and then the morning of your dive trip for best results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom