New Diver (SoCal) - Looking for Dive Location / Gear Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahoogeveen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey,

I just finished my last Open Water certification dive at Veterans Park in Redondo Beach yesterday morning. I've been looking for a forum to join and meet other divers, get advice about places to go diving and any gear recommendations. Our dive shop didn't recommend Aqualung or Cressi. They were pushing Oceanic or Zeagle. Thoughts??

I'm flying to Puerto Vallarta this Sunday and we were thinking about diving Los Arcos and/or Islas Marietas. Any recommendations on dive operators would be greatly appreciated.

Also as mentioned before any recommendations on gear (BC, Reg, Computer etc) or other places to go diving at. I do have a trip planned to the keys next April, but I'm always looking for suggestions.

Andrew

zeagle is decent gear, but their bc's have been getting too expensive to recommend now. oceanic is not really high end, mostly entry to mid level stuff, although the dsat/pz+ computers are reasonable for a more liberal recreational option.

socal has a good few dive clubs, shark bait meets in yorba linda iirc

There is a lot of great beach diving in La Jolla, Laguna Beach, San Pedro, Palos Verdes, Redondo/Torrance, Malibu, Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties. There are also boats available in San Diego, Dana Point, Long Beach, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, Ventura and Santa Barbara. You could also take the express to Catalina from many points.

Malibu divers does a camp and dive weekend at the Boy Scouts camp at Emerald bay (Catalina Island) twice a year in May and Nov. it’s a great opportunity to dive an area that is not normally opened to the public and you get to meet a lot of other local divers. Food, tanks, air, weights, lodging, and charter ferry ticket round trip is included as well as beach diving. It’s a good way to get started if you want a group setting, maybe a little guidance, etc. we dove with them when I was newly certified and did our advanced open water with them out there.

Check them out! :)

Last edited:
Are you interested in diving locally? That will impact gear recommendations.

If you are interested in diving locally, come to Veterans Park on Wednesday nights. Many divers meet (loosely associated with Pacific Wilderness) and you can look at what people are using and ask any questions you may have.

@undrwater - I'm assuming this is year round. I am interested in diving locally - I'll have to try to make it out on a week I'm not working out of state.
Yes, year round, though the crowd gets smaller as it gets colder.

Ping me if you plan on making it, and I'll get you some further details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom