• Android App

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Iphone App

• Sticky Note

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meanmaco

New
Reaction score
I would first like to introduce myself. My name is Jim, I am the owner of an IT company, and I manage a very advanced software development team. I have designed thousands of programs and coding. In my free time, I dive. When im not working, Im diving. I absolutely diving, and I love every minute underwater. I want to give something very special to the diving community.

I also want to be clear, I love scubaboard, and we are not taking members as we are not a forum. But what we are, is another central place where divers can go to research, learn, communicate, log their dives, and much more.

I am putting 4 of my finest web developers and 3 of my finest application developers on this project, although I need the help of the scubaboard and scuba diving community.

Basically we are creating two things. With but not limited to the following features...

1) Application / Portal
* Log Their Dives
* Maintenance Information on Gear
* Gear Tracking
* Social Interaction (Contact List, Social networking integration, etc)
* Portal communicates with website for other special added features.
* Integrates with ALL dive computer export formats

2) Website
* Online Logbook (+ Android and IOS Verison)
* Social Networking Aspect (like a dive version of facebook)
* Diver Resources (Like Printable Dive Logs, Forms, etc)
* Other Resources (Dive Computer Manuals, Dive Gear Service Instructions, etc)
* DiveWorld (A Super Advanced Google Earth of Detailed Dive Information on Sites, etc)
+ Tons of more features...

Other website features:

Program ClearSea - Our donation program. Every dollar donated, my company donates 1 dollar upto 50,000 per year.
(This program goes to cleaning the ocean bottoms, garbage removal, reef restoration, etc)

*** So what i need more than anything right now, is to get your ideas. If you could have your ideas built into a website and or program, what would you have designed?
What is missing on every site, that you would really like to see?

Please feel free to ask questions, or provide suggestions.

Also if you are tech savy, and would like to donate your time to programming and be apart of something great, contact us.

Additionally the first 100 people will receive free divercloud t-shirts. The t-shirts will be shipped during the week following launch.

Thanks everyone, your input is greatly appreciated.

Jim

DiverCloud

Hi Jim, best of luck, but I think you need to do a bit of a reality check. And just to check - are you a troll?

We log every dive. We also capture complete dive profile data from our downloadable dive computers. We also use 15 year old technology for this.

We do not use any web based tools. Why not? Because the majority of the time we are diving we have no Internet connection (think live aboards!)

I also suggest that your efforts would be better placed supporting some of the already existing open source products instead of attempting to reinvent the wheel.

P.S. I believe it will require only 3 of your web developers since they are so fine.
</snark>

The poll needs to allow more than one answer. My main log is paper, which I reference on-the-go sometimes to recall the weighting that I used for various gear setups. Its also useful in places that I need to prove that I dove in the last 6 months or they will make me take a refresher.

I also download my dives to my pc at home, using the software that came with my Bottom Timer, so that I can have a closer look at the actual dive profile.

I seldom take a pc to a dive site.

Linda

I guess I should clarify. I am not attempting to reinvent the wheel. I am inventing the wheel. If you look at all the different softwares our there, there are many of them, they are either limited in one way or another. There are bugs in the code, and just overall unstable. So many programs are hard to use. There are alot of forums out there, and I believe that this is by far the best out there. But, I believe there should be a central location, where information is easy to find, download, etc.

I take offense to your comment, am I a troll? No i am not. I absolutely love diving, and would like to give to the diving community thats all. And suggestions for what people want would be great. My goal is not to upset but to provide a better experience...

Instead of trying to write something from scratch, would it not be better to take one of the existing open-source projects (like subsurface, perhaps?) and work on improving that? Once you have a local version which works perfectly then maybe try to move it to an internet based service?

I guess I should clarify. I am not attempting to reinvent the wheel. I am inventing the wheel. If you look at all the different softwares our there, there are many of them, they are either limited in one way or another. There are bugs in the code, and just overall unstable. So many programs are hard to use.

None of what you said applies to my DiveOrganizer software that takes everything from my Mares Icon HD. No limits, no bugs, no unstability. Can't speak for any other dive computer but mine is fine.

But, I believe there should be a central location, where information is easy to find, download, etc.

Exactly why??? I have no interest in looking through the dive logs of others nor do I expect anyone to be interested in wading through mine. They are for my personal edification.

Also, I would be interested in learing why you think you are so especially qualified to provide something that very large companies (in your opinion) can't. My adive is work on something that needs done. You are a "solution" in search of a problem. Just my $0.02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom