New diver, new to underwater photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericg753

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone, please be patient as I am still new to all of this. Got certified last November and am 12 dives in.

Got myself a GoPro Hero+, red filter, anti-fog inserts, underwater housing, telescopic handle and that floaty thing in case I lose it so it can surface to the top.

If/when I consider advanced photography, I want to buy the "frame" (looks like a square shape) that will house the camera with 2 light fixtures (1 on each end). Sorry this sounds so juvenille, I don't know what it's called and have attempted to Google this information with no luck.

What is the name of this "frame", and where can I buy it please?

And if anyone has any reccomendations as to equipment, please let me know.

Thanks very much,

Eric

Consider making your own tray, a bunch of people have DIY's on Gopro frames. Some people will say diving with a camera is stupid and dangerous and blah blah blah. Just keep your head on your shoulders, pay attention to your surroundings and focus on diving foremost. Good luck with it! I too am a new diver (certified in March)(15 dives total) I've dove with my gopro and the tray is a definite upgrade.

Consider making your own tray, a bunch of people have DIY's on Gopro frames. Some people will say diving with a camera is stupid and dangerous and blah blah blah. Just keep your head on your shoulders, pay attention to your surroundings and focus on diving foremost. Good luck with it! I too am a new diver (certified in March)(15 dives total) I've dove with my gopro and the tray is a definite upgrade.

Sonny,

Thanks for your quick reply. Where do you get the parts to this "tray" from? So far I haven't been too lucky on Amazon, not sure if I'm looking in the right places.

Sonny,

Thanks for your quick reply. Where do you get the parts to this "tray" from? So far I haven't been too lucky on Amazon, not sure if I'm looking in the right places.

no problem Eric, they're relatively simple, I'll post pics of mine tomorrow morning. Basically, I bought parts from the Home Depot (any home improvement store has it) My project calls for 2foot of 3/4" PVC a 3/4" electrical conduit box two 3/4" PVC 90degree elbows and two 3/4" PVC caps and 2 screws. I cut the PVC, capped off my ends, put my elbows on with a piece of PVC to connect to the box, then drilled and inserted screws to hold it tight. Once you see pictures it make more sense

---------- Post added July 11th, 2014 at 08:15 AM ----------

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/480741-diy-gopro-tray-question.html

Basically this except I use straight pvc with 90 degree bends instead of curved pieces.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom