New diver new to this forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to diving it's addicting. I just got back from diving in Saint Lucia it was awesome. You will get all kinds of answers on gear and Scubaboard has a tendency to push one direction but for me you have to find what works for you. I have my type and brand preferences but if you find a good local shop they can help but are usually very brand specific. My preferences are back inflate style BCD's, currently Apeks back plate and wing, Apeks regulators and Shearwater computers. Computer's are a tool I would not dive without one and you can find good rec computers at a reasonable cost. Apeks is a UK based company so might be able to find some good prices but it is not the only good brand out there.
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I’m leaning towards Apeks, as they are a U.K. brand so should be able to get parts and service should be ok too. I’m looking at bp&w setups as they will grow with me. My goodness it’s expensive to get into , but I’d rather do it once rather than out grow abs re buy

Hi and welcome. I hope you got to do a walking tour of the rainforest in St. Lucia; very lush.

Dive computers readily handle multi-level dives (which is what most reef and some other dives are) to maximize dive time, give you a real time notice of how much NDL you've got left at your current depth, and if you get one that's air-integrated, it can probably log your start and end tank pressures, and some can log the dive and download it to your computer (or even smart phone with some dive computers). Diving existed before computers, but especially for multi dive days I can hardly imagine skipping one to use old dive tables.
Hi and thanks for taking the time to reply . I’ve used my old second hand computer on each dive to monitor my ndl, depth and complete my log. It’s become apparent he only ever dives with a guide and relies on him for that information. I hope to grow in to planning my own dives so I’ll be sticking with abs eventually upgrading my computer

Computer should be you very first purchase. As far as a BC goes try some out before you spend your money. Most likely you have already used a jacket style( most rentals are these) try out a back inflate or a wing before you spend your money. Regulators there are lots on the market get something that is easily serviced locally to you. And finally yes there are some good deals online but always try and support your local dive shop! They are the ones that will help you grow in our beloved sport.

As a footnote, never leave dive gear unsupervised ( especially tanks) it tend to multiply very quick lol
Thanks very much . Really appreciate it . I have an mod computer that I have been using . I will be keeping and upgrading when necessary

What are your dive conditions? Hows your eyesight? You mentioned cold water but other factors come into play as well
Hi . Eyesight is good, haven’t dived here yet so I’m sure about much else . Hope to get cold water rated regs and a dry suit

Welcome to ScubaBoard and Howdy from Texas! A dive computer is essential.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom