New Diver, Need regulator advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juan Fontana

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,
I got PADI OW certified this past weekend and am looking to start buying my own gear. I have been browsing this site for a couple of weeks now and have decided to buy a regulator and computer as my first equipment, I already have my mask and fins and will also be purchasing a wetsuit. I came across This package deal:
Hog D3 Zenith Package

What do you guys think?

I was looking at the Deep Six signature regs, but they are out of stock at the moment, I called them and they said they should have them in stock in the next 2 weeks. I guess i will wait for them to become available, I have read good things about them on this site. Thanks.

I dive a Hog D3 first stage and have no complaints. The swivel feature on the first stage is awesome as it doesn't restrict head movements. I can't speak to the performance of the Zenith 2nd stage as I dive a full face mask. My dive buddy during my rescue course dives this combo, though, and he loves it. He's also heading up a public safety dive team for the state guard and Hog gear is supposedly used by a lot of tech divers. For the money I'd say you really can't go wrong. I'd add the additional $20 for the Mares Mv octo, though. I've used it for entire dives and it worked just fine. I actually like the low-profile body. If you want something from say Atomic, the B2 combo is nice. It's what my wife dives (also with full face) and she has no complaints. It just doesn't have the swivel feature my Hog has. The B2 2nd stage breathes nice as long as the intake ports on the front of the reg aren't covered/obstructed. Again, about the same money @ $450 for the reg setup.

I just realized this includes everything, though, including the Pro Plus 3 and as I own it as well, for the money, it's a pretty good deal. You really can't go wrong. I started with the PP3 myself and loved it. I bought my wife an Atomic Cobalt II but she liked the bigger characters on the PP3 so we swapped. It's a great computer, though, and allows you to choose between a conservative dive profile and a more liberal one.

For $750 for all of that.....I paid that just for my Pro Plus 3 computer. I'd say it's a good deal and a great way to start out!

I was looking at the Deep Six signature regs, but they are out of stock at the moment, I called them and they said they should have them in stock in the next 2 weeks. I guess i will wait for them to become available, I have read good things about them on this site. Thanks.

+1!
:cheers:

@Sh0rtBus That's what i was thinking this deals seems great, but I'm not sure about the HOG regulators, I guess i will wait until more people respond. Thanks.

... If you want something from say Atomic, the B2 combo is nice. It's what my wife dives (also with full face) and she has no complaints. It just doesn't have the swivel feature my Hog has. The B2 2nd stage breathes nice as long as the intake ports on the front of the reg aren't covered/obstructed.

This is incorrect. B2 comes not only with 1st stage swivel, but also 2nd stage swivel. If your atomic 1st doesnt' have swivel, it is not a B2 but Z2. And all 2nd stages wont' breath well with ports covered, no unit to B2 or HOG

For new diver, the most important aspect of the regulator is to be able to get local support when needed. Chances are new diver won't be taking apart, servicing their own reg. Probably not even going to make adjustment when needed. HOG is nice, but local support may not be widely available.

This is incorrect. B2 comes not only with 1st stage swivel, but also 2nd stage swivel. If your atomic 1st doesnt' have swivel, it is not a B2 but Z2. And all 2nd stages wont' breath well with ports covered, no unit to B2 or HOG
You're right. I got them mixed up. The Z2 doesn't have a swivel. My mistake. The B2 is also more expensive.

Per atomic, Z2/Z3 is available with the 1st stage swivel as an option. I'll be damned if I can find the sku # to have my LDS order one though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom